Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

i don't know you at all but the blackjack thing makes me think you're probably not cut out for playing poker professionally. take your shot i guess, but definitely do not go into debt for poker.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM

After reading the first part of your history my advice would have been quit as fast as possible.

After reading the 2nd part i would like to know which sample sizes you have by now?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM

Yes for ING.

What do I mean by 'sleeping bankroll'. Lets say you play 1-2. You dont need more than 10k to play that, and even 8k is fine. If you've 20k roll, then theres 10k at least that is 'sleeping' and could be profitable somewhere else.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

I keep a some what normal sleep cycle: bed at 1-3 up at 9-2 (depending on classes). I played poker full time about a year ago but found out it wasn't for me and I needed to go back to school. Now that I am back in school I play about 50k hands a month.

I play 1/2 - 3/6 6max and 2-9 table with an hourly rate of about 80/hr. (not near my db but that sounds about right)

I just buy things when I want them. I usually cash out about 2k per month for a down payments on real estate and about 1k per month for stock market. Other then that I just run up credit card bills (mostly drinking tabs and food) and pay that off at the end of the month.

The reason I got back into school because it messed with my social life too much and I didn't want that to happen. I am only 21 and was starting to become a loner.

My advice:
Keep social event planned and go out with friends a lot .
and try and keep a good sleep cycle because if you don't, you will find yourself get sick a lot easier.

P.S. WM PLAYGROUND was awesome. I saw it here in MN. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Cheers
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

I know you guys will all think that I cant do the poker thing professionally because of my weakness for BJ. Feel free to tell me you dont think i can make it, it only makes me want to prove you guys wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And im not going in dept for poker, you must of read my store wrong, im getting out of dept via poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for sample size, since I started playing cash games on november 7th, I have played 25,000 hands. Before this, I have accumulated another 50,000 hands on various other sites when I was playing poker but not professionaly. The 50k hands were tracked in pokertracker and I had a postive BB/100 although I cant give you the exact number because I had no discipline and was playing at levels ranging form .5-1 to 3-6 .... 1-2 and 2-4 were profitable, while i was a loser at .5-1 and 3-6.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM

alright, thats what I thought. THanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM

thx for your input cheers
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM

cool thread. i'm kind of gearing towards cash game semi pro-dom myself, with aspirations to make a modest living at 6max 200NL and 400NL. haven't really been able to get the ball rolling too much, though i have enough to live off of for a while from some donkament cashes. for a long time tournaments were sort of my security blanket, 'cause i always felt like any day now i was going to go on a massive downswing. i think i play cash well, though

lately school has me swamped and i've been reading 2+2 and studying the game a lot more than actually playing, since it's something i can do more sporadically than buckling down and putting in a session

anyone else make their living off of poker while still a full time student at a university? i find it hard to focus on both (although i am pretty lazy)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM

a couple of things: first you've got a lot of flexibility with social life and time spent playing. After trying alot of schedules I've been working 9-5 and it seems to be the best, but you can chose what you want.

Its the same with your social life. There is very few mandatory functions (God fishes at 25/50 and the like), so you make your own.

As for your decision to go pro, I would suggest moving down. You don't have alot of sample size at 5/10 and the games are tough, only the best players maintain 7BB/100. You are going to go broke.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool thread. i'm kind of gearing towards cash game semi pro-dom myself, with aspirations to make a modest living at 6max 200NL and 400NL. haven't really been able to get the ball rolling too much, though i have enough to live off of for a while from some donkament cashes. for a long time tournaments were sort of my security blanket, 'cause i always felt like any day going to go on a massive downswing in cash. i think i play cash well, though

lately school has me swamped and i've been reading 2+2 and studying the game a lot more than actually playing, since it's something i can do more sporadically than buckling down and putting in a session

anyone else make their living off of poker while still a full time student at a university? i find it hard to focus on both (although i am pretty lazy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Focusing on school and poker is something that I have always struggled at. I do well at school but sometimes I will just get into these poker binges and not go to classes for days at a time, sometimes weeks. Next semester I am just doing college part time because of this. I feel if you want to be successful at both you need to set very strict rules about when to play poker and when to study.