Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Moral dilemma/car dealership help? (a little long)

for the love of god, dont give this guy a single cent. They effed it all up on their end, sure it never would have gone down this way if you had the title like you were supposed to, but that doesnt change the fact its their fault for not making sure everything was the way it was supposed to be before they closed the deal, and their fault for not doing what they could have when they had a chance.

I'd tell the guy I dont feel responsible for a single cent. If he gets whiney about it, I'd tell him to chalk it up to a $3K life lesson.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't want to threadjack but your story reminds me of something that (almost) happened to me.

Years ago I gave my volvo to my sister when I got another car. She drove it a couple years then traded it in at a dealership.

About a year after THAT, I get a letter in the mail from some tow company saying they towed my volvo and I owe $80 + $5/day until I come get it. I disregard letter because hey, I haven't owned that car in years.

I get another letter and so this time I call them. "Hey uh I hate to tell you guys this but you got the wrong guy. I sold that car years ago.".

They say "tough [censored] man you are the last known owner, you owe us the money."

"But tow guys, I'm not the legal owner. The title is not in my name, the registration is not in my name, etc etc why the hell do you think I'm responsible?"

So we go back and forth back and forth finally I learn that it is because a seller's report was never filed (this little thing on the end of the title that you detach and send in after selling the car).

Finally I say "Ok even though we agree the title is NOT in my name and I'm NOT the legal owner and I'm NOT the registered owner, I still have to pay?"

"yes"

"ok then I will be down to pick up the car tomorrow" (Hey for like $100 I can get the car back and sell it right? It was probably only worth $500 or so).

"Sorry sir, but if you can't prove you own the car we can't let you take it".

"WTF????? You're gonna make me pay the bill but won't let me take the car? What will you do just leave it on the curb?"

Finally we call the dealership where my sister traded it in, they said "Hey this is our fault we will take care of it, sorry for this inconvenience". Case closed.

The moral of this story and OP is MAKE SURE YOU TAKE CARE OF THAT PAPERWORK
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

gonores,

I've never heard of a single situation where a car dealer offered to "split the difference" with a customer when someone overpaid or felt misled or somehow something happened due to the customer's sloppiness that resulted in them paying more money than they felt they should.

So I see no moral obligation on your part to make up for the dealer's screwup.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM

good point diablo

when you go meet the guy ask him that very question
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM

OP,

You were a dick to tell them you'll search for the title and then blow them off for months. If you want to do something to relieve that guilt, that's fine.

But think a little before you decide the car dealership should benefit from it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Dear General Manager

Thank you for your call of November 28, 2007. I really appreciate the opportunity to make a contribution to your equity shortfall in the Mazda you acquired from me.

As you can well imagine, at this festive time of year I am provided with many opportunities to contribute to charitable causes. Unfortunately I cannot afford to support them all. This year I was particularly interested in the Liver Foundation, and I concentrated my financial contributions in that area. For lifestyle reasons, I also saw my donation as an investment in my future health care needs.

Though there may come a time in the future when I may be inclined to contribute to the "Pathically-Grovelling-and-Whining-Dealer-Rushed-to-Make-a-Sale-and-Now-Regrets-it" fund, I can't see this happening during any coherent moment, and as such, I just can't place you as a priority on my future charitable recipient list. Should my financial circumstances change, I would be pleased to send you another letter with these same sentiments, albeit on much finer stationary.

In closing, I am honored that you would consider me to share in the equity shortfall, but I must decline. I'm sure you will make it up in future transactions.

Sincerely,

W.O. Title

PS. Thanks for the new BMW calendar. The rustic scene for September 2008 is particularly breathtaking.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

gonores,

How much of a hassle is it going to be returning the BMW after the lease if this goes poorly? More than you can get him to settle for now?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM

articknight,

AWESOME.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 PM

This dealer must have the charisma of a [censored] snake charmer or something. "I bought a thing from you and then sold it for less than I wanted to, will you give me some money? To assuage your guilt?"

Don't go to the powwow, you'll probably end up in bed with this dude.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM

The last time I traded a car in I didn't have a title either(lost) They had me sign a form stating that I was the legal owner and the title was free and clear. Never heard from them again. I think it might be their fault unless you did sign such statement and then who knows.