Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: advice before I meet with a personal trainer

They prolly dont suck as much as they just want you to keep coming and buy more packages. I dont know how to feel about it because they have to do that to make money.

yeah he did def suck for what you wanted.

you should have did what i posted and there would have been no problem.

go in there and say hey I am going to start doing 5X5.

These are the exercises in 5x5.
bench,dip,squat,deadlift, shoulder press, bent over row, etc.

I want to learn to do these correctly.

I also am interested in the olympic lifts.

This is what I want you to teach me.

If that takes 2 classes so be it.

Then you wont need him anymore.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM

If the guy is really knowledgeable then it could easily take months to instruct you properly on all the compound lifts. Granted, probably like 1 trainer in 100 would actually know enough to add value 2 months in.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 PM

yeah forall the o-lifts, but for 5X5 he could teach him quick.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Meh, most people have terrible flexibility so it can take a lot longer to get to a *safe* squat. Even that is only the beginning if someone wants to really have great form. And then [censored] O-lifts take years hurgh.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 PM

yea but OP doesnt need O lifts- it wouldnt take long to teach the basics of freeweights. Our world is run by money and unfortunately trainers are in the business of sales and is not in their best interests of showing you everything in one or two sessions. Any knowledgeable trainer is smart enough not to give out all that information for free during 2 free sessions. Gotta pay.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 PM

Squats do take flexibility, and that's one reason deadlifts can be an easy choice as an alternate killer full-body lift. So, if you don't get detailed and competent squat training, all is not lost.

Also, when it comes to how long it takes to teach compound lifts, at least if you get a good teacher it is fantastic stuff to know and not time wasted. I mean, having a guy take 15 minutes to tell you how to do curls on a nautilus machine and work up a program for it would make me very sad. Yet even weeks(or more) spent learning something great just right is awesome and like some kind of gift from God or whatever.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:26 PM

OP, why are you being so passive in these training sessions? You told these POS you are there to learn the form for the compound movements, when they try to deviate from that stick to your guns, or walk out and say your not paying.

Your paying these guys to teach you and your not getting taught. Quit being a puss.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, why are you being so passive in these training sessions? You told these POS you are there to learn the form for the compound movements, when they try to deviate from that stick to your guns, or walk out and say your not paying.

Your paying these guys to teach you and your not getting taught. Quit being a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, the sessions have been free so far; apparently, NYSC encourages trainers to give a free session, with the hope that the customer will purchase multiple sessions.

Second, the practicalities of the situation just make it simpler to go along with the program. Sure, I tell them I want free weights, and they agree at the outset, hoping I'll consider some other machines too. It seems unreasonable to refuse to listen to ideas, and in truth, I am interested in other views. But it's easy to lose track of time, so 15 minutes of machines can quickly turn into 30-45 minutes.

The other factor at play here is that some people have difficulty deviating from their set routine. Honestly, arguing with this last guy would have been counter-productive and made it an unpleasant experience.

Having said all that, I would have taken a harder line if I was paying actual money.