Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Timothy Ferriss and the Four Hour Work Week

Very good book.

Doesn't matter who you are or what job you do. 4 Hour work week is for everyone.

Essentially, it is learning how to delegate / outsource / automate all the repetitive time consuming work in your life so it frees up your time to be more productive with your work / life.

People who criticize this book are people who have no idea or place zero monetary worth on their time, and that's why they're okay with wasting so much of it doing useless tasks / jobs.

And people who criticize this book. You look extremely foolish when you have never even read the book.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

You guys pride yourself on being logical thinkers, right?

1) Hire personal assistants to make your job easier.
2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4) Your boss promotes you because you accomplish 2x more than any other wage slave employee he has

What do you think happens next?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2007, 11:45 AM

blueman,
seems like an interesting read. my take on this type of book is that everyone can take SOMETHING from it, but few, if any, can get close to as much out of the book as the author seems to imply you should.

i'd love to spend less time doing menial tasks, that's for sure. however, i like working, and if i only had to do a couple hours of work a day i would be bored out of my mind. i suppose i could then work on other projects, but i think i'd be a little worried about overextending myself.

anyway, what does this guy do with the rest of his time? if i had other people to just hang out on the beach with all day long i would consider it, but it doesn't really seem like a viable long term plan.

i'll check the book, though.

tc
Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

You guys pride yourself on being logical thinkers, right?

1) Hire personal assistants to make your job easier.
2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4)

What do you think happens next?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misinterpreting the thread. He doesn't tell employees to farm out company work to virtual assistants, except in very specific occasions like an author needing to do research on a topic piece. He's not telling people to have your reports written by assistants or get them to work your spreadsheets. He makes a point to say not to do anything that involves company material because that would almost certainly be against your companies R&Rs.

Also, people are taking the four hours of work thing wrong. He's not talking about 4 hours a week of work period and then spending the rest of your time racing cars or whatever. He's talking about how to get the things you don't like doing down to as little time as possible. If it's your dream to use 60 hours a week to build a business that's fine. So long as you're not hating it while you do it. The goal isn't to be lazy, the goal is to be able to do things that excite you.

I would recommend you pick it up, even without an open mind. I hated it for the first 50 or so pages, but it clearly won me over in some way.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM

this thread is the last straw, I'm getting a damn maid.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Taylor-

Ferriss advocates freeing up all this time in order to take extended vacations to different parts of the world. Whenever he goes to a new country, he says he dedicates himself to leaning one "mental" skill and one "kinesthetic" skill. The mental skill is learning the language. The physical skill is something like dancing or martial arts (he claims to have become a tango champion in argentina and a kickboxing champion in China, both within three months of arriving.) So he's not sitting around on the beach all day; he's going to a new country and intensely dedicating himself to learning something new.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Blueman,

Props for the new "staking" business.

Question: Have you thought about whats going to happen when someone wins big and doesn't send money? ie, how this would effect profitability and making this venture worthwhile? Obviously you've had success so far, but, even with some screening, there's no way 100% of people are sending back final table money (imo, would love to be shown wrong).

Also, if this continued to grow do you think Stars would have a problem with a good % of the tournament's player pool being backed by one individual (wrt soft play, collusion, etc.)?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM

mmb,

For what it's worth, I delegate most of my work to personal assistants. I have a maid, and outsource a lot of my work as well. The concepts he's talking about are fine, but they're the basic cornerstone in any successful business.

The author also claims he's beaten four MMA champions, but there's no evidence that he's ever done this. He makes a lot of spurious claims that are probably false, just like most "big-time" self-help books. That kind of [censored] annoys me, and it reeks of intellectual dishonesty.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Judging a book by its cover is the new way to criticize a book? You haven't read the book, you don't even know if the crap you googled up is 100% fact or not, nor do you know anything about the author to say anything about him.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't need to read the book to see that multiple people have questioned his victories over multiple MMA champions, and the fact that he provides no good evidence that this is true. That's not something "reading the book" will help me with. Stop being an idiot.