Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: WTH....Ask JRussell About Snowboarding, Drinking, and Polygamy in

Hi jba,

"The beer is 3.2, but you can buy cocktails that are stronger. You can also get straight vodka/whiskey/teqiula/whatever shots in clubs (almost all bars are "clubs")."

You can get straight shots, but every place I've been to has the metered dispensers on the bottles and you get exactly 1 "true" shot per drink. If you know of places that don't use the metered dispensers please let me know! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"You can't just sign a list. In order to become a member you must give ID and pay a membership fee, which typically will be $20/year or $5/week. If you are a member, you can "sponsor" up to four guests/night by signing them in."

You are correct here. I was thinking about clubs that have a cover charge. Part of the cover charge is your membership fee so you don't realize you're paying one. If there is no cover charge then you would have to pay a membership fee along with signing a list.

Also, restaurants seem to be exempt from these laws. They can serve beer, wine, and alcohol without making you officially become a member (no fee and no list to sign).

"I haven't been back in a while, but are you telling me american bush is closed??"

No, I believe American Bush is still open, but ironically they are also a g-string/pasty club now. AFAIK there is a fairly new state law which prohibits fully nude strip clubs.

"I've never heard this and I'm almost positive it isn't true. I had quite a few friends whose fathers' had a very high status in the church (bishops, stake presidents, etc) who ended up in places like colombia, russia, africa, etc. Also, stateside missions are often filled by missionaries with higher health risks or a perception that they will have difficulty picking up a foreign language and are generally not highly regarded. And they would never send you anywhere even remotely as dangerous as Somalia."

You are probably right. This was more of a joke written in response to another's post about multiple wives.

Feel free to correct me on any of this stuff. I've only lived here for about 4 years so I definitely don't know it all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 PM

JRussell - when a husband who is in a polygamous situation goes out to like, the supermarket with say, 2 of his wives, do they all hold hands? Or is there a pecking order and the lower wife kind of walks behind the husband with her head down?

Have you banged a Mormon chick? If so, was she wearing the secret mystical magic underwear? Was that hot?

-Al
Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JRussell - when a husband who is in a polygamous situation goes out to like, the supermarket with say, 2 of his wives, do they all hold hands? Or is there a pecking order and the lower wife kind of walks behind the husband with her head down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Polygamy in utah is very rare - I lived in utah for 20 years and never met a polygamist, and it has been prohibited by the actual mormon church for over a hundred years now. Any "mormon" polygamists that you hear about these days are members of fundamentalist splinter sects that split from the Mormon church in the early 20th century, and the religion they practice holds only a passing resemblance to mormonism. There are only 10-20k fundamentalists practicing polygamy these days (compared to 10 million+ mormons) and they all live in very isolated areas of utah and keep very much to themselves. To the modern-day mormon, polygamy is just an artifact from a very distant way of life that gentiles very often misunderstand. Even in it's heyday in the late 19th century, very few men (usually in very high positions in the church) took multiple wives.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you banged a Mormon chick? If so, was she wearing the secret mystical magic underwear? Was that hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most girls don't start wearing the secret mystical magic underwear until after they are engaged and shortly before they are married, and so few mormon women get divorced or cheat that I suspect this is a very very rare feat. Also, the magic underwear is decidedly unattractive: plain white t-shirt and nearly knee-length shorts. That said, I nailed a couple pre-magic underwear mormon girls, and when I sometimes fantasize about banging them again they are often wearing said magic underwear, and yes it is hot.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:36 PM

JBA - totally hot.

-Al
Old 03-27-2006, 03:08 PM

Jba is right, polygamy is very rare even in Utah.

However it does happen and there are actually some rural towns which are 99%+ polygamists. These towns are controlled by the polygamists (mayor, police department, etc.) and they stay completely isolated from the outside world. The marriages are arranged by the leader(s) and 14 year old girls are made to marry 40+ year old men. The leader of the "Fundamentalist LDS" church, Warren Jeffs, is currently wanted by state and federal authorities for arranging marriages with underage girls. There are even stories of men leaving the FLDS church and their wives/children being redistributed by the leader(s).
Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Polygamy in utah is very rare - I lived in utah for 20 years and never met a polygamist, and it has been prohibited by the actual mormon church for over a hundred years now. Any "mormon" polygamists that you hear about these days are members of fundamentalist splinter sects that split from the Mormon church in the early 20th century, and the religion they practice holds only a passing resemblance to mormonism. There are only 10-20k fundamentalists practicing polygamy these days (compared to 10 million+ mormons) and they all live in very isolated areas of utah and keep very much to themselves. To the modern-day mormon, polygamy is just an artifact from a very distant way of life that gentiles very often misunderstand. Even in it's heyday in the late 19th century, very few men (usually in very high positions in the church) took multiple wives.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most girls don't start wearing the secret mystical magic underwear until after they are engaged and shortly before they are married, and so few mormon women get divorced or cheat that I suspect this is a very very rare feat. Also, the magic underwear is decidedly unattractive: plain white t-shirt and nearly knee-length shorts. That said, I nailed a couple pre-magic underwear mormon girls, and when I sometimes fantasize about banging them again they are often wearing said magic underwear, and yes it is hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify a little. The 1st mormon prophet introduced polygamy as a "new and everlasting covenant" and basically said if you don't practice it you will not rise to the highest level of salvation. At this time many members starting practicing it. When Utah tried to get statehood they were told no way due to the polygamy thing. After this the current prophet at the time had a revelation that mormons would no longer PRACTICE polygamy in these days. He never said they no longer believe in it. In fact it is still in their scriptures and they do believe it will be practiced in the next life. see Doctrine and Covenants Section 132. So when mormons tell you they no longer practice polygamy they are right, but they still believe in it.

Here in Utah it is not uncommon to see polygamist families here and there. A lot of them have a distinct clothing and hair style that makes them easy to pick out. I haven't noticed the pecking order. usually you just see a guy with a few strangely dressed women and a lot of kids shopping at Sams Club.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM

JDErickson - hahah cool:

[ QUOTE ]
Here in Utah it is not uncommon to see polygamist families here and there. A lot of them have a distinct clothing and hair style that makes them easy to pick out. I haven't noticed the pecking order. usually you just see a guy with a few strangely dressed women and a lot of kids eating at Sams Club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormon-ism (or whatever) is the fastest growing religion in the world, right?

-Al
Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM

You don't often see polygamists in Salt Lake. Or even Cedar City, for that matter. They're dotted around rural Southern Utah.

There's no full nude. How long ago did you leave, jba?

3.2 beer and often mixed drinks.

The liquor distributors are all state-run, and the vendors are all law enforcement officers. No joke. I had a friend who spent 3 months in jail on a first offense for using a fake ID when he was 19.

The laws are pretty [censored] up.

The LDS Church is extremely prominent and influential. In Salt Lake City about half of the people are Mormon. Outside Salt Lake it usually shoots up. Ogden and Park City seem okay, but Orem and Provo are not. Good Mormons pay 10% of their gross income to the Church. I doubt most of them actually do that (my father does, but he's a high priest and was a bishop for 8 years).

The Church actually bought most of downtown Main Street.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Madnak - I read somewhere that the Mormon Church, if valued as a corporation, would be in the Fortune 500. (I could be misremembering this, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.)

-Al
Old 03-27-2006, 04:43 PM

I bet they would easily be in the top 500. They might as well be considered a corporation, afterall their leader is designated as a "President". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]