Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: (stud8) how best to handle 4th st?

[ QUOTE ]
It did in fact check through, bless their tender souls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind checking and having it check through. Your hand is still not that good and you are not trying to bluff out 3 players when both low cards caught "good".
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'm not really hoping for like everyone to fold here, but a lot of the time they're drawing about like me with less chance for high, and I'd just prefer to thin the field a little. I don't think it's too terrible if it checks through except that if I don't catch well on 5th I'll have no chance at forcing anyone out. But my total involvement in the hand so far is 1sb so I can fold 5th no problem if it comes down bad.

I actually agree that 3rd is bad. For some reason when I was playing the hand I thought I was just calling the bringin but at the same time I expected the K to try a raise because he raised on 3rd. I suppose I was a little distracted or scatter brained at the time. I wouldn't call that a normal call for me.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM

The king would be an idiot to bet 4th with all the low hands catching, unless he is rolled up or has concealed aces.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Lead out. I don't like c/r at all because if you don't improve this hand is so bad on 5th street. It's not as pretty as you think. This hand is not about forcing other draws out, it's about making your own.

I think I might actually check through because it's a pretty good move anyway and with my playing style it would look super-weird. At a normal table with a normal image just throw a dollar in there and let the rake eat it
Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 PM

The best way to clear the field is to announce that the freeroll tournament is beginning, and hope they time out while trying to sign up. Nobody is going nowhere at this limit.

Betting out can set up a play on a later street, and if the bring-in raises you, you pray the other villains are smart enough to fold. Otherwise, check-call, and hope for a free card.

But you wouldn't be in this situation if you had folded this turkey on third, like you should have.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 AM

Fold third. Like the panel says, no one is folding on fourth anyway. I would probably just bet out. If you can't gamble with this hand when you catch the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you definitely shouldn't have been in there in the first place.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 AM

Whether you should check or bet out on 4th street isn't NEARLY as important as the decision you chose on 3rd. Yeah, you can wind up catching good down the road, but you are starting out at a disadvantage against a 3 card low draw and a high pair. Wait for a better spot. If you want to play it, then be the first one in the pot and raise it yourself (preferably in a steal spot or in shorthanded play).

That said, If you bet out on 4th, you might fold off the King doorcard in fear that you just hit Aces (unless he is rolled up or has AA in the hole). But I can't see you folding off the other two hands if 4th street wound up improving their hands.

Btw, if you checkraised the hand against me, I'm probably going to be more inclined to give you AA opposed to a strong low draw, because, most players will try to thin the field with a pair yet they wouldn't do that with a good draw, because good draws will always welcome the field. So, if you checkraise, the other lows are going to put you on AA, so then why wouldn't they continue to draw for their lows (and especially if one or both of them are drawing to straights)? And (vice versa) if you bet right out (trying to rep. the low draw) then if either one of them has a pair, well they're probably going to call that bet, too. So, it's six on one hand, half a dozen on the other...can't have it both ways, you either have a low draw or some kind of a high hand, and until the hands unfold a bit more, your opponents, at this time, are going to be more concerned at what they hold.

I would bet the turn, followed by checking, followed by checkraising. I don't think CR'ing accomplishes what you would like it to accomplish, and now you have cost yourself 2 bets.