Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: The Right of Privacy

Ya, that's basically what I was getting at. Attitudes will change to interpret these things as smaller deals as they become more commonplace.

I agree with adios that we are maybe at a point in time where this can seem uncomfortable. But I just see it as progress, and not a problem.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprisingly I'm not talking about abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out that I *hate* the fact that a LOT of people use "privacy" as a codeword for "abortion." It just reeks of intellectual dishonesty, and I've gotten blindsided by it a couple of times (e.g. right after Bush announced his cabinet I got into a discussion about Ashcroft's record on privacy. I pointed out that he was pretty decent in this respect (since he was e.g. against key escrow) and I got clobbered with a bunch of "ZOMGWTFBBQ HE HATES ABORTION RETARD").
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you want to discuss a right to privacy in a legal sense or in a philosophical sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. Here are some practical questions: Does a corporation have the right to track you from your publically released information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. Corporations are just people. And people can collect freely-available data. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Should people be legally required to "forget" things that we don't want them to remember?

[ QUOTE ]
Can and should famous people own their media rights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Copyright, sure.

Misuse of likeness could be covered under fraud in many cases.

"media rights" is too broad to address with a single rule imo.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Surprisingly I'm not talking about abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out that I *hate* the fact that a LOT of people use "privacy" as a codeword for "abortion." It just reeks of intellectual dishonesty, and I've gotten blindsided by it a couple of times (e.g. right after Bush announced his cabinet I got into a discussion about Ashcroft's record on privacy. I pointed out that he was pretty decent in this respect (since he was e.g. against key escrow) and I got clobbered with a bunch of "ZOMGWTFBBQ HE HATES ABORTION RETARD").

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good comment. Though I am pro-life/anti-abortion, I too hate the way the privacy issue has been spun legally by both sides. Other pro-lifers say there is no right to privacy in the constitution, ignoring unenumerated rights and the fact that almost all individuals would consider privacy as a very basic right. And the pro-abortion crowd tries to argue as if 1) a constitutional right to privacy necessarily applies to abortion (as opposed to the primary issue being whether the unborn fetus is a person with rights), and 2) that the federal government rather than the individual states are the proper arbiter of same. Both sides have misconstrued and misused the right to privacy in the debate and litigation on abortion.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I see what you're getting at.

Something to keep in mind is that as it becomes more common for people to easily dig up that picture of you puking into the bushes or making out with a fat chic, social expectations will change in accordance. Since it's easier to find out that your neighbor likes to smoke pot or your old best friend from middle school is gay, people will just get used to interpreting these things as less of a big deal. I think what you're getting at is actually a good thing, as exposure to other peoples' habits encourages tolerance. I tend to think intolerance of others' personal private behaviors really only exists because people aren't exposed to it. So they're biased into thinking it is a big deal and they need to stop it.

And of course, like Burgundy said, if something is really that private to you, you just don't post it on the internet (or put yourself in a position where someone else could take a picture of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think this raises a pretty interesting thought (and its a complete digression from the OP, which I apologize for), but it will be interesting to see what happens to people from my generation (early to mid 30s)when they start running for high vis. public offices. I think it could actually have the effect of keeping people from running because they know how easy it is to dig up information on your online activities.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM

Some countries, with the US in the front lead, have outlawed cryptography software. With this law in place the state effectively denies the individual the right to accomodate his own electronic privacy. Maybe it is fitting that such software is put under the munitions law because this is truly a disarmament.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Some countries, with the US in the front lead, have outlawed cryptography software. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true as far as I know. In fact you can develop your own for free if you'd like:

Open SSL

Maybe you mean something else.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM

If you own property and a gun, then you've got some privacy.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh.... don't post info on the internet that you wouldn't want people to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNAR!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Some countries, with the US in the front lead, have outlawed cryptography software. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true as far as I know. In fact you can develop your own for free if you'd like:

Open SSL

Maybe you mean something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe what's outlawed is software with X level of difficulty to crack, not just anything, but I'm not sure. I recall hearing something about this, but it was many years ago.