Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Blind battle underpair hand

15/30

Villain is 50/14/1.4/38
Notes:
-check flop after pfr with good A - check turn and river
-donk flop c/f turn

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, Hero...

I'm still trying to find that balance between folding a bunch of winners and showing down every pair/a-high. A week ago I probably wouldn't have thought much about calling here. Now the board seems drawy and his range seems weak. I'm thinking I should at least take a card off and see if it's any good. Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Blind battle underpair hand

just dump it to the checkraise. Most times, you're either ~50/50 against some kind of draw, or loosing badly to a higher pair.

Your're in a [censored] spot here, and I can't come up with any line that would make more sense than an immedieate fold.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Depends on villain and how u think he plays his draws. But generelly I calldown unless a diamond a 5 or a 6 gets there.
Its HU, you can't fold a pair on that board.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM

vs this guy i instafold if he c/r

vs a good reg i would play it like kobecarter
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on villain and how u think he plays his draws. But generelly I calldown unless a diamond a 5 or a 6 gets there.
Its HU, you can't fold a pair on that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about an 8?

I think you are dodging about half the deck here a lot of the time! If folding is bad (and it's what I would do) then it's only the tiniest of mistakes.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM

even if you're ahead, there's a good chance you're not the favorite in the hand. if you had more blind battles with the villain it would be an easier fold or call, but id muck it pretty close to %85 of the time
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15/30

Villain is 50/14/1.4/38
Notes:
-check flop after pfr with good A - check turn and river
-donk flop c/f turn

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, Hero...

I'm still trying to find that balance between folding a bunch of winners and showing down every pair/a-high. A week ago I probably wouldn't have thought much about calling here. Now the board seems drawy and his range seems weak. I'm thinking I should at least take a card off and see if it's any good. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is only jack high and there is a flush draw there. He could check raise with a large number of unpaired hands. At least call the flop for 7 to 1. Fold turn to another flush card or broadway. On a blank turn, mix it up. Sometimes fold, sometimes call, sometimes raise.

If the board pairs on the turn, raise and fold to a reraise. Check behind on the river.

Thing is, you have an excellent chance of getting a free card because of the large number of scare cards that can come on the turn. I'd bet your call on the flop will give you a free look at the river almost half the time here. He has to put you on either a pair, two overcards, or a flush draw. Thus, if he is bluffing with squat, he will likely check if any overcard or diamond fall on the turn.

It is also important for metagame reasons not to let him push you around easily from out of position in these blind battles. You have to blunt the highly effective weapon he has of check raising any time there is a flop that he feels likely missed your hand.

You said you are looking for a balance between folding winners or callind down with every pair. You do not have to call down with every pair. You just have to let them see you do it often enough that they THINK you will call down with any pair. This slows down their bluffs.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM

call flop

on the turn,

raise a 4, raise a J
raise non-diamond 2, 7, K, A
raise a 3

call a non-diamond 5, 6
call a diamond

fold to a non-diamond 8,9, T

occassionally raise a non-d Q, occassionally fold a non-d Q

if he checks the turn
check it back to induce a bet on the river
Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, you have an excellent chance of getting a free card because of the large number of scare cards that can come on the turn. I'd bet your call on the flop will give you a free look at the river almost half the time here. He has to put you on either a pair, two overcards, or a flush draw. Thus, if he is bluffing with squat, he will likely check if any overcard or diamond fall on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian will bet this turn close to 100% imo. Maybe he c/c's an Ace if he has a pair....
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM

I just fold in this spot. We have some serious reverse implied odds issues and are getting just better than 2:1 to call all the way down. I'm much more inclined to call down with ace high than with a pair of 3s in this spot.