Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-29-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Sugar Shane Mosley admits to taking BALCO steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/...e=ESPNHeadlines

[ QUOTE ]
"Sugar" Shane Mosley says he is a "health-freak-type of guy" who had no idea that what he took for a few weeks in the fall of 2003 were the BALCO designer steroids "the clear" and "the cream," which he said he was pressured to take by his former strength and conditioning coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Mosley said he paid Conte $1,500 with a personal check, which shows that he wasn't trying to hide anything. And then, for about four weeks late in his training camp he used the program Conte prescribed for him, which he later learned included undetectable steroids "the cream" and "the clear," in addition to the blood-doping drug Erythropoietin, commonly known as EPO, a hormone that artificially increases red blood cell production.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal or no deal at all?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Sugar Shane Mosley admits to taking BALCO steroids.

as a sports fan, i really don't care who takes steroids but from the perspective of the other athletes i can see why someone would be very pissed off to learn that their opposition had an illegal advantage in a competition worth of millions of dollars.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 AM
 is offline

For me the real story here is that he actually took EPO.
I've wondered if or when it was going to be used in boxing but this is the first time I've heard of a clear example of it.

It's been very common in endurance sports for many years now and the edge you gain condition stamine wise is significant.
There is a test for it now, not used in boxing, but you can still get away with it anyway since it's only detectable for a short period of time after being used.
So what you do is, use it in training where you're then able to train much longer and much harder.
That's why in track and field and cycling mainly, they have a lot of out of competition tests.

It can also, if not used correctly, which it wasn't in the beginning in cycling for an example, be a serious health risk but I think the scary thing is, when it shows up in a sport like boxing, the danger not to yourself but unlike in endurance sports, to the opponent.
In a 12 round fight both fighters are supposed to get tired and the fresher fighter will have a huge edge.

Accidently I remember the Mosley - DLH fights as pretty even and I wouldn't be suprised at all if DLH with his resources was be on performance enhancing drugs as well.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 AM

I believe him. But I'm gullible.

Others don't tell the truth because they knew exactly what they were taking and hoped they woudln't get caught. Well not everyone but I'd say most.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 AM

The integrity of boxing has been compromised.