Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Happy Thread--Post when coach/player/reporter does something good

Mike Holmgren is still one of the best offensive playcallers in the game.

And lol @ thinking we shoudl baby student atheletes. I had 10k of debt after college, you got a free ride. I have no qualms about yelling at some kid if he sucks, cost of doing business in the public eye. And if your mom is feeding you chicken like a bird in public, prepared to get clowned for it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to form a strong opinion on this without knowing this woman's credibility prior to this.

Does she actually have access to inside info w/ a proven track record of being correct? If so the coach is probably an idiot & needs to address internal issues with his staff leaking information.

But the article does read a lot like a tabloid. Half the sentences begin with "Rumor has it", "If you believe the rumblings", "Word on the street"...meh. The Mom/chicken angle I thought was unreal. Don't most normal kids get over the "embarrased to be around your parents" thing shortly after Junior High?

In the end they're probably both idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gundy said the column was 75% inaccurate, but refused to say which parts were false when the reporter asked.

It was a column---columnists speculate, publish rumors, form opinions, etc. The idiot part of the rant is how no one who had a child would ever criticize a child like she did. Gundy actually compared the situation to a kid getting called fat or not picked up on the playground and running home to mommy.

Plus, Gundy brought on the speculation by refusing to answer questions like "who is the starting QB this week, and why did you bench Reid?" If you tell the media to buzz off, they still have a deadline and have to write something.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to form a strong opinion on this without knowing this woman's credibility prior to this.

Does she actually have access to inside info w/ a proven track record of being correct? If so the coach is probably an idiot & needs to address internal issues with his staff leaking information.

But the article does read a lot like a tabloid. Half the sentences begin with "Rumor has it", "If you believe the rumblings", "Word on the street"...meh. The Mom/chicken angle I thought was unreal. Don't most normal kids get over the "embarrased to be around your parents" thing shortly after Junior High?

In the end they're probably both idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gundy said the column was 75% inaccurate, but refused to say which parts were false when the reporter asked.

It was a column---columnists speculate, publish rumors, form opinions, etc. The idiot part of the rant is how no one who had a child would ever criticize a child like she did. Gundy actually compared the situation to a kid getting called fat or not picked up on the playground and running home to mommy.

Plus, Gundy brought on the speculation by refusing to answer questions like "who is the starting QB this week, and why did you bench Reid?" If you tell the media to buzz off, they still have a deadline and have to write something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. Gundy just threw a tantrum and can't man up about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Good job Detroit Tigers.

In the middle of Sunday's game, they made an announcement to recognize KC's manager, Buddy Bell, who is stepping down at the end of the season. He used to manage the Tigers. They sucked then. The Royals suck now. However, Bell seems to be a nice guy and obviously comes from a good baseball family. Also, I believe cancer in the family played a role in his decision to resign. Classy guy. Classy move by the Tigers.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Hart: breathing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me: I salute Lloyd Carr for finally doing what I have wanted him to do for 3+ years. That is, make Mike Hart the rich man's version of Chris Perry. In other words, give that guy the ball on first down. Give it to him on second down. Go ahead and give it to him again on third down. I'm exaggerating, but it was nice to see them use the horse this weekend for 40+ carries. It brought back memories of Perry's 51 carry game against MSU in '03. Hart is much better than Perry. Ryan Mallett is a freshman and was making his second career start.

I believe Carr has been overly protective of Hart throughout his career. As a result, Hart has missed out on a lot of potential individual accolades (Heisman hype) because he has shared a lot of carries. While I understand Carr's fear of injury, you have got to ride your horses. They did that Saturday. They beat a top 10 team.

Good job, Lloyd. Please continue.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I hadn't seen Kenny Mayne on Sportscenter for awhile but I've been catching him on Sunday nights and he's mostly pretty awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kenny Mayne is without a doubt my favorite Sportscenter anchor of all time. His sense of humor just kills me. Those "Mayne Event" segments he does are priceless. I remember him doing one about Camillo Villegas' putting routine and maybe another one about miniature golf or something. Hilarious stuff.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM

I was talking to my mom on the phone during the timeout before the play and told her, "I think they should go for it but pretty much no coaches in college football would go for it here" and Zook did. Great call.

Up 7 with 6:53 to go with the ball 4th and a couple inches on their own 34.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM

After the Mineesota Vikings realized they f'd up they gave Troy Williamson his paycheck back from last week. Williamson mans up and donates the money to charity.