Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Default LC: 3-handed play strategy

Hi everyone,

I recently got Tourney Manager and became a little troubled when I saw how many 3rd places I am getting. There are way too many 3rd places then 2nds and 1sts and I won't stand for it. I have slightly more 1sts than 2nds so if I can just work on the three handed part of my game then I will be able to see a nice increase to my ROI%.

Given I make it to the bubble and it bursts I will enter 3-handed play in one of two ways. Either I will double through and have a large stack, or two other players will go at it and I will be competing with someone 3-handed or be very behind after squeaking through the bubble. I understand some will say apply more pressure on the bubble but surely there is a difference between this and -e.v plays? I feel I am making mostly correct bubble pushes and sometimes enter 3-handed with a comfortable stack but I am still lost so I am not sure the problem lies in the way I am playing the bubble entirely.

What is some general advice that will help me out considering the blinds will be high? I sometimes fear that people are just glad they have made the money and am unsure of their ranges so I normally tighten up a little and take the temperature of the table. By then it is probably too late and I can kiss my fold equity good bye.

I'm not sure exactly where I am going with this, I just feel as though I am pretty lost when it comes down to 3 and if I can turn some of them into 2nds then I have a good shot at making an even bigger return.

Thanks guys, any and all advice appreciated. Hope you can help a small timer out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: LC: 3-handed play strategy

Post hands, use ICM...
3 Handed you typically are within 10bb or so. Its usually just push/fold ICM, and I was amazed at how bad my 3 handed gambooling was costing me when I thought I was supposed to go for broke and 1st and was pushing all kinds of weak kings, etc for 10 bbs. Put your opponents on a range, plug into SNGPT, play with the chipstacks, and repeat.