Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: What Are You Optimistic About?

No they are not. Kiva.org is the perfect example of how private charity can utilize microlending. The reasons government support microlending is they can then reduce the amount of aid they give in cash to foreign governments. The World Bank has incorporated microlending institutions into the packages it offers.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
7) also, pvn's thoughts, above

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, I guess pvn deleted his. Anyway, I think that the ability for some developing countries to springboard off of current technology, especially with regards to energy and technology, is a thing I am optimistic about. No need to reinvent the powerplant.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No they are not. Kiva.org is the perfect example of how private charity can utilize microlending. The reasons government support microlending is they can then reduce the amount of aid they give in cash to foreign governments. The World Bank has incorporated microlending institutions into the packages it offers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm, I'm extremely skeptical of this. You mention private lending and the World Bank. The World Bank is the opposite of free market.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes it is. But that doesn't mean that sometimes government and private aims can't overlap. Here is such an example.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is. But that doesn't mean that sometimes government and private aims can't overlap. Here is such an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the articles I linked above. I think you'll find it interesting.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7) also, pvn's thoughts, above

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, I guess pvn deleted his. Anyway, I think that the ability for some developing countries to springboard off of current technology, especially with regards to energy and technology, is a thing I am optimistic about. No need to reinvent the powerplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I deleted it because the images weren't working; I tried repairing them, but it didn't happen.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) re-localization of food and the collapse of industrial monocropping

5) a massive population loss - I'm not optimistic about this happening obviously, it's going to be awful, but if it happens it will be because it is inevitable, and after the inevitable, a possible new paradigm will emerge that recognizes the presence of ecological boundaries and dismisses hubris about humans being above nature as, quite literally, insane

[/ QUOTE ]

What you propose in #4, directly begets #5. I would think human death would be immoral to you? Anyway, I'm optimistic that healthy food will become an item like computers today - you pay a premium to get it, but it's still affordable at a wide range of budgets. I think we should also expect to see an explosion of these sorts of foods at all income levels - it's a huge unexploited market, even if we lack the technology or werewithal right now. And don't forget the role of farm subsidies in creating this whole mess.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM

I'm very optimistic about China, and to a lesser extent most of the Pacific rim. I do not think the Chinese will easily forget the bounties of globalization and free trade, having risen so fast from so low.

I'm also optimistic about robotics and genetics. I really think realistic robots will be able to change elderly life fundemntally in about 10-20 years. Genetics will allow us to more accurately ponder and identify what truly makes us inequal. It will lead to medicines that will usher an age of unprecedented prosperity. Look at 1900 till 2000 - can you imagine another 100 years? Secretely I speculate that in a couple of decades we shall become so individually wealthy these debates will have become academic.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 PM

I am optimistic about almost everything, I can't think of much which was better 100 years ago, and I have no reason to think the next 100 will differ in that regard.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mmm, I'm extremely skeptical of this. You mention private lending and the World Bank. The World Bank is the opposite of free market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niesio: Do you know anything about microfinance? doesn't sound like it is you are conflating it with development aid. microlending is a pretty pure AC approach to poverty alleviation. Ir provides capital, in the form of loans, to private entrepenuers. What part of that is non free market?

re: the World Bank. I'm pretty sure I didn't spend the night in a jail cell in DC at a protest against the WB because I think they are a good institution for the world's poor. Nevertheless, I would expect vulgar libertarians here to defend them, since the tandem carrot/stick WB/IMF approach over the past 20 years has been the primary reason for a lot of privitization and deregulation in developing countries.