Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

How does OOT feel about pre-nups? If you really trust a girl, is it below the belt to ask for one? I don't have a personal situation now, but I'd love to hear from some people who have experience in this sort of thing.

Let's hear it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

depends on your net worth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 AM

IMO, if someone refuses to think about a pre-nup, that person isn't mature enough to get married.

Many (most?) marriages end in a divorce. Securing your futures in a responsible way by making sure no one gets the raw end of the deal is the most sensible thing you can ever do.
Believing (=hoping) that in your personal oh-so-special case things can't go wrong is plain stupid.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:39 AM

Ah yeah, let's pretend you're Michael Streehan here. Or someone with significant net worth.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 AM

This reminds me to ask this question, I have a house worth about 700k in my name it's not really mine but it is on paper. Apart from that I am basically broke, I will marry my girlfriend from China later this year or next year so she can get a visa, should I get this house out of my name now?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 AM

Imitation,

Depends on which state you live in, but if the property is not yours, yet is in your name, I'd say you're carrying a significant liability on several fronts.

OP - prenup agreements aren't just for the uber wealthy. My wife isn't on my mortgage. We share expenses though. We didn't do a prenup, so we had to have a complicated Will that assures her share of the property is preserved should I croak before her. I forget the legal term for it, but there's a section of the document that requires us to dispose of the other's interest in the property (i.e. sell the house) if we split.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 AM

it seems like a good idea to me if there is a big disparity in income. No reason to give the other financial incentive to divorce.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 AM

I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness, etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly.

If your getting married for other reasons (for a green card, or just a big party, etc) then the other party should be understanding of the need for a pre-nup.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if someone refuses to think about a pre-nup, that person isn't mature enough to get married.

Many (most?) marriages end in a divorce. Securing your futures in a responsible way by making sure no one gets the raw end of the deal is the most sensible thing you can ever do.
Believing (=hoping) that in your personal oh-so-special case things can't go wrong is plain stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of our financial futures are based on what we know and what we do rather than what we have.

If I lost all of my material possessions tomorrow, it would be little more than a short term blip. The things that I really want to keep, my wife has no interest in and wouldn't take them - even to spite me.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM

my net worth: -£12000
her net worth: +£8000

our future net worth: roughly equal, all things considered.

I don't see a need for a prenup in most cases.