Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator

My legal question is how they are able to show the guy's faces. I thought that if you did not want your face on TV, then it was not to be shown (think of cops). I seriously doubt these guys consented to that, what the hell???
Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Catch a Predator is the most immoral show to ever broadcast on TV imo.

It's not journalism.
It's sadistic to make entertainment out of pedophilia and the criminal justice system.
It's an unethical means of catching criminals.
The law (that many states have) that you can be convicted of child abuse if you chat with a 40 year old woman posing as a child is nonsense in my opinion. I don't think that that doesn't represent some criminal activity, but it definitely isn't the criminal activity suggested by those laws.

anyway, i have posted my thoughts on this matter before on this forum and I was accused of being either a sex offender or a sex offender sympathizer or something. Its kind of disturbing that you can't criticize things like catch a predator without being thought of as crazy.

ultimately, i think its depressing to think how sadistic the average person is and how draconian the average person is in thinking up solutions to the worlds ills.

if you don't think the average person is sadistic. think about how the average person would answer the question "Should people convicted of pedophilia be protected from cruel and unusual punishment?" or perhaps the more leading question "Would it be OK for the government to castrate individuals convicted of pedophilia?" Shows like Catch a Predator just feed that kind of sentiment imo.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My legal question is how they are able to show the guy's faces. I thought that if you did not want your face on TV, then it was not to be shown (think of cops). I seriously doubt these guys consented to that, what the hell???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have gone on record as saying that they can do this because it is not an entertainment show but a NEWS show(news shows never/rarely blur out the alleged since its central to the story). which is [censored] imo.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two guesses

A)It's a news program, so faces can be shown
or
B)They asked, the guys said yes. Some of the guys on COPS say yes.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Catch a Predator is the most immoral show to ever broadcast on TV imo.

It's not journalism.
It's sadistic to make entertainment out of pedophilia and the criminal justice system.
It's an unethical means of catching criminals.
The law (that many states have) that you can be convicted of child abuse if you chat with a 40 year old woman posing as a child is nonsense in my opinion. I don't think that that doesn't represent some criminal activity, but it definitely isn't the criminal activity suggested by those laws.

anyway, i have posted my thoughts on this matter before on this forum and I was accused of being either a sex offender or a sex offender sympathizer or something. Its kind of disturbing that you can't criticize things like catch a predator without being thought of as crazy.

ultimately, i think its depressing to think how sadistic the average person is and how draconian the average person is in thinking up solutions to the worlds ills.

if you don't think the average person is sadistic. think about how the average person would answer the question "Should people convicted of pedophilia be protected from cruel and unusual punishment?" or perhaps the more leading question "Would it be OK for the government to castrate individuals convicted of pedophilia?" Shows like Catch a Predator just feed that kind of sentiment imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that if it was not a 40 year old, then it would have been a real 12 year old, is the main crux of the problem.

And I don't think the crime is child abuse or sexual assault since they don't actually assault a child...it is most likely attempted sexual assault or whatever...which is much different
Old 04-21-2007, 06:39 PM

How is it not entrapment to set people up like this?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it not entrapment to set people up like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only entrapment if the people send the first PM out or something liek that. They can only bust them if the guy started talking to the "minor" first.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 PM

They do absolutely nothing to entice the men who appear on the show. They simply go to a chat room, or set a profile on myspace, and wait for someone to bite. They don't ask around for guys, or actively seek anyone out.

Every person who ends up on the show was specifically looking for an underage girl to have sex with. There is no grey area here at all.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM

they tried to spice it up a bit by adding a camo cop hiding in the bushes who helps subdue the suspect... is having swamp-thing jump out of the bushes really necessary?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM

So if I go to a chatroom and a 15 year old ASKS ME to have sex, I cant get busted? sweeeeet!