Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 AM

Default LEGALIZE IT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

An Excerpt:
Science Daily — The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

More information!

A toke to science and progress! Let's hope more research is done, and the ban is finally lifted.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: LEGALIZE IT

I think there is some merit to legalizing marijuana, but as far as the other drugs including some the anxiety and depression medications such as Xanax should remain illegal.

I really don't feel like getting into an argument, but I've got plenty of personal experience to back up my claim.

Marijuana is somewhat harmless. Heroin, Cocaine, X, and Meth are not.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

An Excerpt:
Science Daily — The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

More information!

A toke to science and progress! Let's hope more research is done, and the ban is finally lifted.

[/ QUOTE ]

After becoming saddened after reading Phil153's many very good posts on the problems with marijuana, I am now joyful to hear this news. It seems strange to me that anything that brings such joy to a person could be so horribly bad. Sort of like the revelations of red wine were to me and indeed tea. I am eagerly awaiting the day that I am told that cocaine is as healthy for me as vitamin C.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 AM

Substances are incredibly powerful tools. Each one has a responsible and an irresponsible use. Drugs are agents of social darwinism as they weed out the people who cannot responsibly live in a privileged environment.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Substances are incredibly powerful tools. Each one has a responsible and an irresponsible use. Drugs are agents of social darwinism as they weed out the people who cannot responsibly live in a privileged environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, what good does this social Darwinism do? Idiots that can’t handle drugs responsibly just give the rest of us a bad reputation and cause problems for us. In the meantime, nothing weeds them out. Nutty addicts, at least in California where I came from, are remanded to mental health upon arrest. They don’t even go to jail. Often they are out in 48 (or how many statutory ) hours they must be held for. Then they are back on the streets bugging the rest of society for money.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 AM

legalise em all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
harmfulness has nothing to do with it.

chez
Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, and I know you are being logical, but could you please elaborate. I find this discussion interesting.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, and I know you are being logical, but could you please elaborate. I find this discussion interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we were going by any reasonable measure of harm then there would be no prohibition at all - prohibition is disasterously harmful for everyone except organised criminals.

Drugs are banned for authoritarian reasons or because there's some (mind-numbing stupid imo) idea that 'if we don't ban it then we're sayings its okay to take drugs'.

chez
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
legalise em all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make this point. I really don't know why people in favor of legalization insist on arguing it on the grounds of health impact. It makes me extremely leery of their motivation, and implies that they have the exact same mentality as the anti-legalization people, they just draw their line a little further along.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If we were going by any reasonable measure of harm then there would be no prohibition at all - prohibition is disasterously harmful for everyone except organised criminals.

Drugs are banned for authoritarian reasons or because there's some (mind-numbing stupid imo) idea that 'if we don't ban it then we're sayings its okay to take drugs'.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the drug debate and the gay marriage debate share one thing, in that they reveal this stupefying fear of being permissive. Is the slippery slope really that convincing to that many people?