Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Default I\'ve got two mice.

I know we constantly get the question about using two mice. I actually think it's a pretty bad idea; even if the OS could somehow use them, it'd be hard to aim with both hands.

Anyway, I was using Parallels on my macbook to play an old video game. The windows drivers for my mouse can do things the mac drivers can't, so I plugged the USB device "directly into the virtual machine".

The neat thing is, when OSX isn't focusing on the Parallels window, the windows mouse still works inside windows. I can keep playing in windows even though the mac mouse has its own touchpad and pointer. The Mac screensaver will even kick in, because Mac doesn't see the windows mouse at all.

Anyway, if somebody still wanted 2 mice, they could run a VM on one screen with the natice OS on the other. They could plug one mouse into the OS and one into the VM, with 4 tables on one and 4 tables on the other.

There's no reason you can't run windows inside of windows.
-Sam
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: I\'ve got two mice.

That's kind of neat that they run completely independently. I don't think VMware supports that "plug directly into virtual machine" but I'm not sure. One problem with running a Window's VM within Windows is that you probably need two licences (unless you are a dirty pirate [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Not sure why you think you would discouracge someone from running two mice normally though. I have been using two mice (left and right handed, both plugged into usb ports) for the past two years in both Linux and Windows (and within VM's) and have never run into hardware conflicts or anything. Having two mice is pretty much a necessity for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why you think you would discouracge someone from running two mice normally though.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not that people want two mice. They want two pointers.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why you think you would discouracge someone from running two mice normally though.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not that people want two mice. They want two pointers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM

The idea is that if you are eight tabling with 4 tables on each monitor, you then have one mouse for each screen.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 PM

I see what you mean now. Two pointers would indeed be sweet for multiple monitors.