Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Democratic Debate

Good thing the job he's going for doesn't require any tough decisions to be made.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But seriously, who the [censored] cares if Bonds gets invited to the Whitehouse? Do people really vote based on that kinda stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just Barry Bonds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 AM

As an Edwards supporter, I was disappointed with my candidate's performance. It was a forum he really should have won, and he didn't particularly distinguish himself. But I think the only memorable performance overall was Kucinich; it wasn't a big moment for any of the front-runners.

BTW, the reason that Gravel was not in the debate wasn't his low poll numbers or crazy persona. It was because he declined to fill out the paperwork necessary to seek the AFL-CIO endorsement.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, where was Mike Gravel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently he failed (or chose not) to fill out an AFL-CIO questionaire or something.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 PM

According to a Tribune article, all of the GOP contenders were invited as well. I'm surprised none of the 2nd tier candidates showed up: the press from a GOP candidate crashing the Dems debate would have been worth it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to a Tribune article, all of the GOP contenders were invited as well. I'm surprised none of the 2nd tier candidates showed up: the press from a GOP candidate crashing the Dems debate would have been worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize they were invited. Knowing that, I am very surprised nobody showed up. Tancredo got good media coverage for being the only GOP candidate to attend the NAACP event.

If anybody had showed up, how would that have worked? Would they have been put on the stage with all the Democrats, or would they have had a separate event if a few Republicans had shown up?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize they were invited. Knowing that, I am very surprised nobody showed up. Tancredo got good media coverage for being the only GOP candidate to attend the NAACP event.

If anybody had showed up, how would that have worked? Would they have been put on the stage with all the Democrats, or would they have had a separate event if a few Republicans had shown up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although all the candidates were invited to the debate, in order to participate you had to fill out the questionnaire indicating that you were seeking the endorsement of the AFL-CIO.

All of the Democrats except Gravel, and none of the Republicans, completed the questionnaire.
I can understand why the Republicans didn't think it would be to their benefit to be seen as going after this endorsement.