Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 AM

Default 6 numbers

An article I was reading LINK talks about 6 numbers that decide exactly how the universe is. If any of these six numbers were slightly different we would not be here. From this I draw three possible conclusions.

#1 - The universe was designed.
#2 - A ton of other universes exist, or have existed at "one time" (clearly, not time in our sense of it).
#3 - We got crazy lucky. Like egg landing on the ground and reassembling itself lucky.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Re: 6 numbers

Or something even better or more unbelievable would exist.. doh!

Or at least maybe something with fewer design flaws! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 AM

It sucks that one of them isn't 42.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An article I was reading LINK talks about 6 numbers that decide exactly how the universe is. If any of these six numbers were slightly different we would not be here. From this I draw three possible conclusions.

#2 - A ton of other universes exist, or have existed at "one time" (clearly, not time in our sense of it).
#3 - We got crazy lucky. Like egg landing on the ground and reassembling itself lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't the puddle of water lucky that the hole was just the right shape?

chez
Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 AM

Why assume that it is possible for the numbers to have values other than what they do ? You could always assume that forces wouldn't work the way we observe just as easily. Seems like intellectual masturbation to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't the puddle of water lucky that the hole was just the right shape?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Or more importantly, isnt is REALLY lucky that girls have the exact same things on their chest that I love so much?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the view that it is neither. An infinity of other universes may well exist where the numbers are different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ve always thought the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics makes the most sense, but have been puzzled by this infinity business. Is it possible that an infinite number of universes exist in a single space?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:02 AM

People refuse to look at what this argument is all about. I'll add that there are far more than 6 numbers(physical constants) keeping the universe together. This argument has real weight behind it if you can grasp the complexity and perfection of the universes constants.
It's a miracle, those who can't see it don't understand the information being presented.

To reduce ...say the perfect strength of gravity to the same level as a hole in the ground is a grave misrepresentation of the facts IMO.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People refuse to look at what this argument is all about. I'll add that there are far more than 6 numbers(physical constants) keeping the universe together. This argument has real weight behind it if you can grasp the complexity and perfection of the universes constants.
It's a miracle, those who can't see it don't understand the information being presented.

To reduce ...say the perfect strength of gravity to the same level as a hole in the ground is a grave misrepresentation of the facts IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not a representation of any facts so it cant be a misrepresentation.

Its addressing a misconception.

chez
Old 03-16-2006, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a miracle amongst an infinite number of possible miracles. That makes it less remarkable.

Stopped being overawed by imperfection, godboy! It makes you out to be more as a robot, or simpleton, than someone with some imagination.