Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 AM

Default NL25 A4o hand

No reads, i'm sure i goofed up somewhere, criticize me.
Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP: $30.40
CO: $15.80
Hero (BTN): $24.65
SB: $3.55
BB: $28.85
UTG: $14.50
UTG+1: $27.95

Pre-Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP folds, CO calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $1.25, CO calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.50</font>, UTG+1 calls $3.50, CO folds

Turn: ($11.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets $3.75</font>, Hero calls $3.75

River: ($19.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: NL25 A4o hand

I never play A4o in a opened pot. Raise if you are first in.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:02 AM

playing, even raising A4o on fullring is hard -EV imho, i only do it when im button and its folded to me. What kind of flop are you looking for? The turn play is really suspicious, it seems like a blocking bet, but the board is already completed a ton of draws, so it might be a slow down bet, or something like that. Possible set? Afterall he limps utg+1, typical setfarmer play. Riverbet shows even more weakness, if he has a draw, why would he bet so small? If he has a set, he probably has a boat now, again cheap value. Can be a trap, wants you to reraise, but i dont see such deep thinking at this limit. It would help a lot if u posted some stats or some witnessed hands about utg+1. If i had to make a quick guess i'd put him on A9, or some other 2p which got busted by the river.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Fold preflop. a4o is not a strong hand and you're only really looking for a flop with and ace AND a 4 on it, or a 2-3-5 flop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This isn't a fantastic flop to cbet, IMO given UTG+1's limp/call preflop and this board. He'll stick around here with a flush draw, straight draw, straightflush draw, set, and medium PPs that don't believe you hit this flop. That having been said, the cbet size is fine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When he calls flop and then leads turn, it's time to fold, IMO. He's switched from passive to aggressive (even if the best size is small) and lots of draws were completed by this turn card. I agree with Varagh that villain's bet sizing is either a lure to get you to raise, or a type of blocking bet that wants to get to SD cheaply. Either way, your A4 is liksly to be way behind on the turn, so I fold. The river is an obvious call, given the odds as the slightest chance he's here with air, A9, or 2pair makes this +EV
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM

As everyone has said fold preflop. I usually c-bet a little more as well. I'm not sure how much action you are going to get if you hit on the river, but having the NFD I think merits a turn call here. River is fine, I really doubt you are getting action from a TP kind of hand if you raise (or action from any hand that you beat)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

@Rapid: OP has the nut flush draw on the turn. He cannot fold to a 1/3 pot.

@OP: I'm pretty sure if you folded A4 offsuit everytime it was dealt to you outside of the BB and SB, your game would not, in any serious way, suffer for it. You can raise with it sure, but recognize what you're doing is a pure bluff on par with raising Q 6 off and not a semibluff like raising As4s.

IMO, this is well played up until the river. Given Villain's line, there's an incredibly low chance he has a flush. He's most likely blocking you down with one pair. I raise river to $11-$14.