Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Live 15/30 top set hand

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Its rare that a B&M player at this level will ever 4-bet a big bet street without the nuts or very close to it.

You could still beat the sets, but A5s and 65s have nearly as many combos and are more likely after all the action, so this is a fairly basic calldown.

Two pair is extremely unlikely and very poorly played, obviously, so it should be treated as part of the 10% donkey rule that goes into making the decision to call any turn raise down.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 AM

I'd be tempted to raise one more time but I don't think a call is bad either. A reasonable player basically has A5s, 33, 22.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I called the 4bet (instantly regretting it) and a 6 hit the river (no flush). He bet again and I just called. I was going to (obviously) raise a board-pairing river and possibly (like 50% likely if it felt right) any non-A,5,6 river as well, calling a 3-bet if that happened. I was also going to bet any river if checked to and make a decision if checkraised based on the card and whatever felt right (probably calling a lot of the time). Good/bad river plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the lack of a 5-bet, this sounds good.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:35 AM

5 town and then call down. His range is {33,22,56s, A5s, 44} with 44 being discounted at ~50%.

edit: just saw results. dude is kind of lag; hopefully you made some money off of him during the rest of the session.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be tempted to raise one more time but I don't think a call is bad either. A reasonable player basically has A5s, 33, 22.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I called the 4bet (instantly regretting it) and a 6 hit the river (no flush). He bet again and I just called. I was going to (obviously) raise a board-pairing river and possibly (like 50% likely if it felt right) any non-A,5,6 river as well, calling a 3-bet if that happened. I was also going to bet any river if checked to and make a decision if checkraised based on the card and whatever felt right (probably calling a lot of the time). Good/bad river plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the lack of a 5-bet, this sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought about this some more, and a lot of this river plan doesn't make sense unless your turn call was an accident. If he's crazy enough for a 4card straight river to ever help him, then his range on the turn is so wide that reraising is mandatory. Actually any straight card helps you against his range because it makes for fewer straight combos Villain can have, but it also kills your action against non-straight hands.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM

i am pretty sure he has a A5, so you have 10 outs to a full house/quads redraw plus 3 more outs to a push (split pot) if a 5 hits--no push if he has 56, but i play the same with or without the push out: call after he 4bets; check/call river if board does not pair, raise or check/raise if it pairs.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 PM

I think his 4-bet screams two pair. Absolutely screams it.

You played it fine though. The wheel is another very real possibility. People love wheel draws. Plus, if you 5-bet, I think there's some chance he folds on the river. Any edge you might get from the 5-bet is small, IMO.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM

I think 5-betting live, given the read provided, in Vegas, is nuts.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:16 PM

You have all the Q's (almost), so the only hand you can beat at that time is a small 2 pair or set. My guess would have been closer to A5 than 65. That being said, I would have still re-raised- still having 10 outs- just to send a message to him and the blue hairs.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 5-betting live, given the read provided, in Vegas, is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The read I had on this particular opponent was all of one other hand... against anyone else at the table, I would've played it the same way but felt a lot more confident about it.

Anyway, thanks for the responses all. In retrospect, I felt the turn was an easy 5-bet but maybe it's a lot closer than that (of course, results might easily have biased that analysis).