Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Default The Lounge Screenplay Collective

I've wanted to write a screenplay, have it kick enough ass, impress the right people, and made into a movie; but never have finished one. I imagine a lot of us are like this, and have bits and pieces of screenplays, and ideas and stories, that kick ass, but have never done anything with them. I have no doubt this will suck tremedously at first, but the way I envision it, with tweaking, a collective script, worked on by a group of people who appreciate movies and have some understanding of what makes movies great, could end up as something great. High hopes.
This may not develop rapidly, but let's keep it organic and free-flowing, so any idea for any scenario at any point of a story...just get it out there, ideas will come together, a direction will develop and the rest will come naturally.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: The Lounge Screenplay Collective

What kind of screenplay are you hoping for? Drama? Action? I need to know what your preferred genre is.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Start with whatever you want. I have a feeling people are more comfortable with drama, as comedy is generally more difficult to execute, but whatever.

Idea 1: A bay-area thriller centered around El Diablo as the primary witness of a brutal murder....
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM

ROBOTS
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Idea 1: A bay-area thriller centered around El Diablo as the primary witness of a brutal murder....

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's expand it: what would ElD have been doing leading up to this point? Who would he have seen and what conversations would have taken place, where would he have gone? Where did this murder happen? Who was murdered and who murdered? How did ElD react; did he attempt to prevent it or did he hide so as not to be seen? Did the murderer see him? What does ElD do then? What's he like at this point; composed, scared, jittery? What happens next?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, I like this idea. I would think either he has to be doing something wrong at the time of the witnessing or he has just witnessed a close friend commit the murder, wouldn't you think?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM

Tough call, both could develop well...

If it were a close friend committing the murder, the story would probably develop more naturally focusing on the tension between the friendship/loyalty and protecting his own ass/risking jail time. So, potential for more character development, more meaningful story, less mindless popcorn-action.

If he were doing something wrong at the time, what would it be that he'd be doing? Would it be something that would frame him as the murderer? This could develop into more of an action, ElD on the run to save his life and bring the real murderer to justice type story, where he'd use his immense knowledge of the city to avoid capture.

The murdered could also be someone he knew, even if vaguely like a first date or something, to make it personal. He'd have the struggles with the city cops who can't get a lead, then just say [censored] it and take justice into his own hands, of course finding the necessary leads to hunt down the murderer and avenge his friend's death. He'd be able to have that sweet montage where he dresses in layers, looking all sharp, throws on the shades even if it's dark, and clips his 2" .38 in his waistband, then looks in the mirror before long-striding out his door. Soooo many options.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM

While comedies are hard to write, I figure a decent comedy script would be easier to turn into a movie. Most comedies today are complete crap. So a decent comedy script would have a lot of potential.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM

If there are people here who can execute comedic dialogue that maintains plot focus, that would rule.

Dark comedy idea: A journey through young-adulthood with Anacardo.

However, to most 2+2ers, comedy involves sarcasm, often multi-level, and subtelty, neither of which, individually, have translated well to the screen, much less combined. Perhaps that brand of subtle sarcasm is what's missing from modern comedy, but the way I imagine it, on the screen it's more annoying than funny. Maybe I have it wrong, though.