Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Now THAT\'S a defense attorney (aka, \"How was this shmuck not guilt

[ QUOTE ]
Why isnt raping a 12 year old life without parole?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c it's possible anyone can [censored] up real bad in a given situation...even good people...not saying i'm thrilled about it, but i can see the reasoning...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Now THAT\'S a defense attorney (aka, \"How was this shmuck not guilt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c it's possible anyone can [censored] up real bad in a given situation...even good people...not saying i'm thrilled about it, but i can see the reasoning...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm praying he is refering to the ability of the jury/judge/lawyer to [censored] up and result in a false conviction, and not talking about someone "accidentally" raping a 12 year old girl.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm praying he is refering to the ability of the jury/judge/lawyer to [censored] up and result in a false conviction, and not talking about someone "accidentally" raping a 12 year old girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I dunno, Im taking what he said like "well....so what, he raped a 12 year old girl...maybe he should get a second chance". I may have misread.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I dunno, Im taking what he said like "well....so what, he raped a 12 year old girl...maybe he should get a second chance". I may have misread.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was. He appears of the opinion that such people can be rehabilitated. I am of the opinion they need to be put down. Then again I have a daughter so I may be biased.

J
Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was. He appears of the opinion that such people can be rehabilitated. I am of the opinion they need to be put down. Then again I have a daughter so I may be biased.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I figured. I dont have a daughter, Im unbiased, and I agree with you.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They need to leave a few bunks for the hardcore criminals.

Pot smokers.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it's possible he's telling the truth -- clearly the state couldn't prove he did it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Failing to convict someone with a weak case brought against them >>>>> greater than wrongfully convicting someone who didn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the dude in Illinois who was just exonerated by DNA evidence showing there was no scientific way possible he could have been guilty...but only after he served 25 years in prison.

When you're wrongfully convicted, and behind bars, I'm pretty certain your opinion would change.

I imagine the dude probably did commit those crimes -- but the *only* thing that separates our justice system from those in, say, Zimbabwe, Tibet, North Korea, Pakistan, or any other country where there are, essentially, *NO* human rights, is the fact that in our country, prosecutors actually have to prove their case by competent evidence.

If the ONLY fact that could have ensured conviction was the fact that he'd been convicted years previously, for a similar crime, then the prosecutor and state did not deserve to get a conviction in this case.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I figured. I dont have a daughter, Im unbiased, and I agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he shoulda been de-willied, if you know what I mean. But, in discussing the earlier conviction, people are saying "rape", but for all we know, the actual charge may have been, say, pleading down to "sexual assault", which may have carried a maximum sentence of 15-20 years. Maybe there was plea deal in '91, that was designed to save the 12 year old from having to go through the trauma of testifying.

All I'm saying is, we don't know exactly why he only got 15 years the first time -- it may not have been a lame jury, or anything like that. I do know that that is not evidence of guilt now. And from earlier in the thread, there was at least *some* evidence (that doesn't appear to have been countered by the prosecution), that the girls made up the whole story.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
12 men and woman, good and true

[/ QUOTE ]
Where the eff did Phill come from? You have to be some sort of troll, right?

Guess who sits on juries? Anyone that's not a criminal. Maybe its my own misanthropic bias, but if you pull a random non-criminal off the street, just about the last words I'd use to describe him or her would be "good and true." Christ, even typing, "These jurors, all good and true," makes me feel like a pompous ass.

Dealing with the shortcomings of juries is one of the costs of our justice system. That's something I'm willing to accept, just as I'm willing to accept that sometimes actual perps will go free because they take advantage of the same rules that protect innocent people. But let's not pretend that every jury member is pure-hearted and perfect within the context of the case they hear.

Seriously, typing, "The jurors, all good and true" sounds like something an assface Memphis prosecutor would say in a Grisham novel.

[/ QUOTE ]

The basis of jury trials is the jurors are above reproach, have no prior opinions on the case and are capable of coming to a logical and correct decision based on the evidence presented to them.

Of course, there is the classic joke that the definition of juror is a person to stupid to get out of jury duty.

Anyway you cut it, this is NOT a defendant who is wealthy. He will have had a state appointed lawyer who is either wet behind the ears or just not particularly good (obviously a gross generalisation, but you get my point).

All this put together means that there is a VERY good chance the prosecution case was paper thin, and there already quotes in this thread where witness overheard the girls admitting to making it up.

So the only 'evidence' ive seen is he has prior convictions and a small underground lock up for weed.