Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Best Cover Songs

Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower is definitely better than the original. Also Hendrix's rendition of Hey Joe is also a cover version (but I can't remember who initially wrote the song).
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM

I wonder how many hip hop devotees are actually aware that music made by artists these days is often cover versions of much older stuff.

e.g. Fugees - Killing Me Softly

original by Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel recorded in 1971 by Lori Lieberman in turn based on a poem by Lieberman "Killing Me Softly With His Blues" inspired by Don McLean's "Empty Chairs"

been covered in it's time by ...

Roberta Flack (who won a Grammy with it in 1974), Tori Amos, Eva Cassidy, Perry Como, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Toni Braxton, Alicia Keys and Shirley Bassey

Although I think the Fugees did it best.

Ludacris "samples" Charles Dickens...

"In this life one thing counts - in the bank large amounts" taken from Oliver Twist and the song from the 1968 musical Oliver! "You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two" by Lionel Bart

and one of my favourite covers was the Happy Mondays "Step On"(1991) - original by John Kongos (1971) which according to the Guinness Book of Records was the first ever recording to use a sample of another recording (in this case African tribal drums)
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 PM

I like Cake's version of 'I Will Survive'. Sheryl Crow's version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' is vastly superior to GNR's.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheryl Crow's version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' is vastly superior to GNR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vastly superior because you like Sheryl Crow I assume. Musically, I don't think any version of this song could be "vastly superior" to the original was was nearly perfect.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 PM

Buckwheat Zydeco's "Hey Joe" is my personal favorite cover. So many amazing covers of this song. Not sure if it's a folk song though.

Of course, there's Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" (Dylan) which has become the poster child for amazing covers.

Sinead O'Connor's "House of the Rising Sun" is also great, but since a folk song, not sure it counts, either.

Johnny Cash's "Rusty Cage" (Soundgarden) is so original sounding you'd think it was always a country & western song rather than heavy metal.

I'll throw Type O Negative's "Summer Breeze" in there because it's such a weird genre.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM

I get flamed for this every time the subject comes up, but I vastly prefer Shinedown's version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" to the original (particularly the WAAF in-studio performance they did before they actually released it as a single) - and keep in mind I love Skynyrd and think Shinedown is generally a pretty lame band.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sinead O'Connor's "House of the Rising Sun" is also great, but since a folk song, not sure it counts, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's quite amusing that you can sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of The Rising Sun"

I still love Pat Boone's cover album - the cover of Van Halens "Panama" was about the best on there.

and possibly the best cover of "Stairway to Heaven" ever was Frank Zappa's - complete with 7 part brass harmony version of that guitar solo...
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheryl Crow's version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' is vastly superior to GNR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell?!?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 AM

Depending on my mood, I like the Derek & The Dominoes version of Little Wing more than Hendrix's original. The dueling guitars of Clapton and Duane Allman give me a chubby.

Someone else mentioned Buckwheat Zydeco, they do a mean version of Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad too.

I think some of the best covers are by the original artists, i.e., Queen's live version of We Will Rock You, or Dave Groehl's acoustic Everlong.