Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Default If you could just do it all over...

To the regulars that have moved up in stakes thanks to 2+2.
If you could do it all over again what do you wish you would have done more or less of?

For me it would be practicing money management. The biggest key in the game for most people is not beating rake, but it's beating themselves. If I had stuck with some simple bankroll guidelines and dropped down instead of moving up, I would easily be a regular at 5/10+ considering the hours I've put in learning the game, my winrate etc etc. Had I just overrolled myself for every limit and been patient in moving up slowly I would be way far past my imagination in bankroll $. I wish I could go back in time and just build up more. I would've reread my books more even though I did read small stakes hold'em like 11 times overall in my first year I still didn't reread over other strategy books like I should have.

I also should have gotten a coach I wish I could take back the times I've cashed out thousands of dollars and did NOT buy a coach to sweat me.

I think a main problem was setting aside my ego to play practical poker. I lost a lot of $ challenging people to heads up games with high variance out of my stake. Probably thousands.

Other games: I also wish I would have taken more time to learn omaha as I see it as a highly profitable game and it's fun if I could beat that while I was also beating hold'em I'd have much more game selection and if I was doin bad in hold'em I could take a break which brings me to my next point.

Breaks: Burn-out another major leak among a lot of poker players. Playing so much, especially playing more during downswings(in attempts to swing it instead of swong it). Sometimes the cards are just telling you to go home but you don't listen even when you know you play worse when the cards are running worse. I believe the 6 month break I took from poker has helped me a ton. But I could've not dissapeared and still earned a nice income had I just not let myself burn out like a super nova and explode, and took a week break here and there and enjoyed some of my income.

Cashing out at small stakes: I wish I had not done this either and built up a bankroll slower and more sturdier and worked on another way of income other than having just solely small stakes poker be my income.

I also wish I would've had gotten rakeback when i first started woulda helped a lot and bonus whoring would've been a way good idea to build my roll quickly at the beginning also learning BlackJack Bonus Whoring etc etc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What would you take back or do differently if you could [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?