Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: expectations...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
T When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others you are a sociopath.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means immune in the sense that you won't be hurt/insulted by them...like you can take them objectively
Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: expectations...

[ QUOTE ]

The key though in my mind (if one believes we will not always have low expectations, but recognize that people are not perfect and screw up) is how we handle situations when our expectations are not met.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty important. if when our expectations are not met we take it personally, we are hurt and angry and somehow feel the person has betrayed us by not living up to our expectations, we will be made miserable by every little way that our expectations are not exactly in line with (or exceeded by) reality. if, however, we are diasappointed when our expectations are not met, but accept the inevitability of it and just quietly adjust our expectations in line with our experience, and understand that other people and the world in general are not somehow obligated to live up to our expectations, then having high expectations should not seriously interfere with our happiness or wellbeing