Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Ordering Takeout

[ QUOTE ]
i can't bring myself to cook regularly...i'll make myself a sandwich/hamburger helper/eggs&bacon maybe twice a week...the other 5 days i'm constantly ordering subs/chinese/pizza/any type of takeout/delivery.

Lazyness? Takeout-disorder? Can't fend for myself disorder? just normal college lifestyle?

not really concerned...just found it intriguing as i was placing an order for a Chicken Caesar salad and a side of fries when i could easily throw in a frozen pizza or make a tuna sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont cook at all
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Cooking for yourself is the best way to watch what you're eating and how much you're spending on it.

It's also a time commitment, both in developing the skills, and also selecting menu items and shopping.

For most people the benefits of the former combined with the development of a highly useful life skill are worth the time commitment.

This is true even for single folks.

Certainly over time you will build up both an inventory of spices and other stock ingredients.

In addition, you will compile a mental shortlist of menu items, complete with good uses for leftovers. Not just reheating, but reuse.

For instance, roast potatoes can easily be reheated and remain tasty, both for another meal as well as acting as home fries with breakfast. Meats can be thrown in as an ingredient for burritos. Egg rolls can be made with leftovers, and stir frys work well with left over rice in addition to other ingredients.

There are numerous threads on simple bachelor cooking over the years. Here is one from the El Diablo forum:

The Official Professional Bachelor Food Suggestion Thread
Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

i order the most food by far out of my 3 other roommates. none of them play poker or work so i think it comes down to if you have the money and aren't into or enjoy cooking, you're gonna be either ordering or going to the dining commons pretty regularly.

the other day i went over my bank statement pretty quick and i've easily spent at least $300 in the first 2 months of school on takeout/delivery. another thing is i haven't had my car at school until very recently so i'd order instead of driving to the school/downtown.

delivery in general is soo bad for you, i'm either getting dominos/[censored] chinese/[censored] italian (ty middle of nowhere new hampshire college) so i'm really trying to cut down because of that and the $.