Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Israel is arming the PA

SF Chronicle

Cliffs notes: Egypt sent thousands of small arms to the Prime Minister Abbas headed PA security organization with Israel's approval.

Analysis: Does anyone think this is a power play on Israel's part to undermine Hamas? There is a growing level of violence between Hamas and the PA and I can definately see Israel wanting Abbas to win.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Israel is arming the PA

[ QUOTE ]
SF Chronicle

Cliffs notes: Egypt sent thousands of small arms to the Prime Minister Abbas headed PA security organization with Israel's approval.

Analysis: Does anyone think this is a power play on Israel's part to undermine Hamas? There is a growing level of violence between Hamas and the PA and I can definately see Israel wanting Abbas to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was Israel I would arm both sides -- just enough to keep them fighting -- not enough to threaten me. I would not want peace!

Of course we should expect our government to be involved. After all democracy (and the choice at the ballot) only matters when the side we want to win wins. Our involvement in this is disgusting.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SF Chronicle

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between allowing transport through a territory with pre-existing accords and "arming" the PA as the subject states.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a difference between allowing transport through a territory with pre-existing accords and "arming" the PA as the subject states.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shhhh.....don't be so precise and accurate. The anti-Israel/pro-terrorist appeasement wing of 2+2 will not like you.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Shhhh.....don't be so precise and accurate. The anti-Israel/pro-terrorist appeasement wing of 2+2 will not like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you have been following the politics over there (I've been busy with other things) but as I understand it the arms are to be used against the group that was elected by the people. Arming a group that is fighting the elected representatives -- which accords would that come under?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you have been following the politics over there (I've been busy with other things) but as I understand it the arms are to be used against the group that was elected by the people. Arming a group that is fighting the elected representatives -- which accords would that come under?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, isn't Prime Minister Abbas the leader of the Palestinian Authority? Am I missing something here? Also, if you've been following the news recently, Fatah has proposed new elections soon (which polls show they will sweep in a big way), and because Hamas knows they will lose, Hamas has said they will boycott these elections.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 AM

I thought you meant pennsylvania.

Iron, you are using the principle of universality to condemn "our" interference in the affairs of soverign nations. But heaven forbid Iran try to influence Iraq.

" The anti-Israel/pro-terrorist appeasement wing of 2+2 will not like you. "

My ally Saddam was executed tonight. Im sad.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Accords that allow Egyptian shipments into Gaza across the Kerem Shalom crossing.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you've been following the news recently, Fatah has proposed new elections soon (which polls show they will sweep in a big way), and because Hamas knows they will lose, Hamas has said they will boycott these elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abbas doers not have the legal power to call new elections. He may get away with it anyway though.

You may have missed that Hamas won (properly schedled) elections less than a year ago. Yo may also have missed that, while they may well lose this time - although it will be close - much of Fatah's vote will come from people starved into voting for them and the return of rampant corruption and cronyism. How very democratic.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Given that Israel supported the rise of Hamas as a Muslim counterbalance to the secular Fatah movement, this is not surprising.