Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: 2007-08 North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball (San Antonio Here We C

It was expected, but it was nice to see us step on the gas early and thrash Iona. I didn't get to see the game (thanks ESPNU) but from what I've read and seen the team looked much better last night albeit against a far inferior opponent.

One thing I've read is that Deon Thompson admitted to being nervous for the Davidson games and apparently is getting used to his new body (he weighed 315+ lbs as a HS JR) but the staff still has a lot of confidence in him.

The main thing that has me hopeful so far is that our outside shooting has been strong. If we get outside shooting to go along with Tyler inside, we're going to be very difficult to beat with our much improved defense.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Thoughts on the Heels thus far--pretty much the best-looking modern-era UNC team at this point in the season. I don't remember the '05 team looking this good. People were discouraged by the Davidson squeaker, but that was a road win against basically a top 25 team sans our starting PG.

I really love this year's team--the depth, the hustle, and especially the lack of ego, which comes from Tyler and works its way down. When your consensus preseason player of the year is an egoless workhorse, the attitude is infectious. In short, I think we look like a championship team.

Thinking about going to the game tonight--apparently there are tix available...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Oh, almost forgot. F**k Dook.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on the Heels thus far--pretty much the best-looking modern-era UNC team at this point in the season. I don't remember the '05 team looking this good. People were discouraged by the Davidson squeaker, but that was a road win against basically a top 25 team sans our starting PG.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's early, but the 2005 team absolutely blew teams off the court with the exception of the Santa Clara game. With the exception of a 7 point win @ Indiana, the 04-05 UNC team had a streak of about 2 months and 15 games when they were winning by 10+ points.

I tend to agree with your assessment that the Davidson win is underrated and that this team has a lot of potential, but they aren't as good as the 04-05 team at least at this point.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's early, but the 2005 team absolutely blew teams off the court with the exception of the Santa Clara game. With the exception of a 7 point win @ Indiana, the 04-05 UNC team had a streak of about 2 months and 15 games when they were winning by 10+ points.

I tend to agree with your assessment that the Davidson win is underrated and that this team has a lot of potential, but they aren't as good as the 04-05 team at least at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Lurchy that the '04-'05 was lights out. We lost to Santa Clara with Felton suspended by the NCAA for the game.

As I mentioned, I'm going to the Vegas games this weekend but the much hyped L'ville/UNC game may be missing some spark.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Lurchy that the '04-'05 was lights out. We lost to Santa Clara with Felton suspended by the NCAA for the game.

As I mentioned, I'm going to the Vegas games this weekend but the much hyped L'ville/UNC game may be missing some spark.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/those injuries it probably won't be much as game. if we play them in the tourney as long as louisville's pg doesn't get to shoot 30 free throws we should be able to handle them at full strength relatively easily.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:50 AM

ligastar,
sorry you're not gonna get to see unc v l'ville.

even though a part of me wants unc to never be tested and win the national championship with ease, i really wanted to see this game.

damn mormons!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 PM

I am dragging this morning at work from the late start on the game last night but it was a good one. UNC is very good when they are getting consistent scoring from outside. Looking forward to tonight.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

louisville wasn't going to have padgett anyway (who should actually be at unc anyway)
Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ligastar,
sorry you're not gonna get to see unc v l'ville.

even though a part of me wants unc to never be tested and win the national championship with ease, i really wanted to see this game.

damn mormons!

[/ QUOTE ]

keepitreal,

I saw the last 12 minutes of the L'ville v B.Y.U. game and B.Y.U. is the better team right now. L'ville simply couldn't rebound. The fact that they lost 2 key frontline players is really hurting them. Also, today will be L'ville's 3rd game in 4 days. B.Y.U. right now is a better challenge for the Heels tonight.

Keep an eye out for #44 Trent Plaisted (Junior, 6'11"). He had 3 dunks in the 12 minutes I saw and shot 10 for 16 for the game with 12 boards. He and Pyscho T will be doing battle tonight.

I didn't know if cameras were allowed so I didn't take mine but several ppl had cameras. Some ppl went down to a few feet off the court and got some pix of UNC during pre-game warm ups. I'll be taking my camera tonight and will have some sweet pix for the UNCs fans here.

As for the ODU game:

- ODU had a strong contingent of fans and it made for a great atmosphere. During the 2nd TV timeout I saw 3 ODU fans get kicked out of the arena.

- The guards (Lawson, Ellington, Ginyard and Frasor) played lights out. Lawson especially had a great game. He raced down the length of the court 3 times and layed it in before B.Y.U. even knew he was past them. One time he used the 7'3" B.Y.U. center as a shield all the way from 1/2 court to the basket. The tall guy didn't even know Ty was on his hip the entire time. I lol'd. When Lawson plays like he did (he was dishing some nasty inside passes, several of which Deon and Alex fumbled) we are a very difficult team to compete against.

- Deon Thompson still looks lost and inept. His defense is weak. Stepheson played with a lot of heart and I feel deserves to be in the starting line-up.

- Danny Green is instant offense and a key component in this team's continued development.

- Even though UNC shot 71% from the field, ODU played with a lot of heart and showed some grittiness on the defensive end.

- ODU's coach had the ball with 25 seconds left and elected to milk the clock down to 3 seconds before shooting to make sure UNC didn't reach triple figures in scoring.

- The Orleans Arena waitresses working the V.I.P. seating on the floor had the sluttiest outfits I've ever seen for an Arena work staff. They are like cutoff sweatshirts with the sweatshirt hanging off one of the shoulders. I'm really not sure what is stopping the sweatshirt from slipping down more and exposing their tee tas.

- Tyler comes out for pre-game warmups/stretching with Jonas with him by his side (Jonas Sahratian - Strength & Conditioning Coordinator)

- Eric Montross and Steve Kirschner (UNC's SID) were behind me in the Orleans taxi line.

Tonight's game is 10:30 eastern on ESPN2. Let's get it done Heels!