Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Default The question is - \'When to quit\' ?

We all know that better to quit early when you are losing, and continue to play longer while you are winning.
All the succesfull players talking about this like the best recipe for maximizing your profits.
for example : many gives themselfs a limit of 3 buy-in lose on 1 session. but when u decide to quit while you are winning ?
many times I find my self up like 3-4 buy-ins and just can't keep winning, and ending the session up only 3 buy-ins or maybe even less.
In the other way, i see a winning streak by players who gets up like 10-12 buy-ins in a session, and it seems nothing can't stop them that time, even if they are playing bad.
But me, when i'm up many times like 3-4 buy-ins, early in the session, and all seems like going my way, i just start having bad beats and it becomes very frustrating.
So where are your limts, and how you see it ?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: The question is - \'When to quit\' ?

wait until u get unstuck
Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM

In theory, I have a stoploss of 3 buyins and otherwise will play as long as I'd planned to play. In practice, I will often quit if I get ahead 3-4 buyins quickly and will play until the end of time to get unstuck if I lose right away.

It's not what I should do, but it's what happens.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Good post. I think you have to re evaluate how you are playing before you quit, or keep playing. If you've been taking a lot of bad beats. It's good to take a break if you feel you are getting frustrated. The reason, is out of frustration comes bad poker, and bad calls which loses you more money, and gets you even more frustrated. Before you know it the one or two buy ins your down becomes 4 or 5.
If on the other hand your up 3 or 4 buy ins and running good. Keep playing until you get tired, and feel your play might suffer.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:54 PM

I set a hands goal, usually I aim for 1k or 2k hands in a session depending on how much time I have. I very rarely quit before reaching that goal. I do much longer sessions when I'm stuck and have nothing else to do.

The longest sessions are the ones with a 5+ BI downswing where I try to get unstuck... I guess that's bad, but I can't really motivate myself to play 6 hours straight when I'm up.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:59 PM

I'd like to get to the point where I just clock in at a certain time and clock out at a certain time, regardless of how many buy-ins up or down.. regardless if there's a drooler still on the table.. That way I can just play my best poker in that time frame and move on.. the game is too consuming otherwise, I can spend eons trying to get unstuck and it just takes a toll on the way I feel after a while... a planned out schedule of when to start and quit, divided up into blocks of time that aren't too long to ensure you're playing well and get break periods seems like the best approach. Easier said than done.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 PM

I play until making marginal decisions starts becoming more annoying than interesting.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:54 PM

i play until im so bored that i start to play bad, or i feel the tilt setting in
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM

i play until i make a mistake for a stack, this was my last hand today....

Stack sizes:
Bubaloo: $108.6
Button: $77.35
SB: $73.92
BB: $107.3

Pre-flop: (4 players) Bubaloo is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Bubaloo raises to $4</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $6</font>, Bubaloo calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($12.5, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Bubaloo bets $7</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $14</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Bubaloo raises to $31</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($74.5, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Bubaloo bets $35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $69.3</font>, Bubaloo folds.
Uncalled bets: $34.3 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: $144.5

and i literally make one of these everyday.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Four hours after I sit down, regardless of anything.