Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Describe some of the most exciting at-bats you\'ve witnessed.

2 more glenallen hill things from wiki that I remember pretty vivdly

Once hitting a home run that landed on the rooftop of a building across Waveland Avenue behind the left field side of Wrigley Field. It is believed that this is the only time a home run has landed on the roof of any building neighboring the outfield bleachers of this ballpark.
During another game as a Cub at Wrigley Field, he hit another home run that landed on Kenmore Avenue past a building across the street—a truly "Kingmanesque" blast, one of the longest if not the longest hit to left field in Wrigley Field history.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM

G A Hill was awesome in Batting practice at the stick. He always put on quite a show.

I used to go all the time to BP in the late 90's and caught more Batting Practice homers from G A Hill than anyone.
He used hit about as many out as the rest of the team combined. Although it sucked because Bonds was always just taking his last pitch or two of BP as they let you in.

It was open season as the bleachers had a few dozen people in them at the start of BP, he's a big reason why I got over 100 BP homers.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Dave Hansen hitting a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth in a 0-0 ballgame at Dodger Stadium. This was the early 90's against the first place Giants and the place was packed.

I also remember Tom Candiotti striking out the Giants batter for the third out with the bases loaded in the top of the eighth. The Dodgers' picther in the top of the ninth was Ramon Martinez's little brother Pedro. He was eventually traded and I wonder what ever happened to him after he left the Dodgers.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:57 PM

I also forget to mention the Brian Johnson Home run game in 1997.
Giants/Dodgers fans know what i'm talking about...

from wikipedia..."Johnson's most memorable moment in professional baseball came on September 18, 1997 when he hit a home run in the bottom of the 12th against the Los Angeles Dodgers to move the San Francisco Giants into a tie with the Dodgers for first place. That win gave the Giants the momentum they needed to win the National League West"
---
I went to the game, the people I went with wanted to leave in the 9th of a tie game, I had to go with them so I missed it live, but got home in time to see Brian Johnsons walk off homer in the 12th.

What was sick about that game was Rod Beck getting out of a bases loaded nobody out situation in the top of the 10th to keep the game tied.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to the game, the people I went with wanted to leave in the 9th of a tie game, I had to go with them so I missed it live, but got home in time to see Brian Johnsons walk off homer in the 12th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you no longer associate with these people.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Here's a few from A's games I was at over the last few years:

2002- Giambi's first game back in Oakland. they opened up Mount Davis and 55k people were booing as loudly as they could the moment he walked to the plate. iirc he struck out.

2002-Game 20 of the winning streak. hatteberg comes to the plate in the 9th after the A's blew an 11-0 lead and jacks one out of the park while 55k+ go nuts.

2003 playoffs- Ramon's walkoff bunt in the 12th.

2006 playoffs- Marco Scutaro's bases clearing double. The entire stadium was chanting his name, and I'm positive thats the loudest the coliseum got all year.

2007- Scutaro walk off 3 run hr off of Rivera. One of the best endings to a game I've ever seen.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you no longer associate with these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no choice, it was my Uncle and Mother who I went to the game with. They hate traffic, I still couldn't believe they wanted to leave against my strong objections, it was a total playoff atmosphere, we had great seats to.
September game against the Dodgers to put them in a tie for first.
I give them a hard time 10 years later for making me miss it live. Atleast I got home in time to see it on TV.

That game, even 10 years later is still considered one of the best Giants regular season games since they came to S.F 45 years ago.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 PM

some of you are describing really exciting hits or walk-off wins that you've witnessed.
Was there anything else in the at-bat besides the drama.

My original impression of the subject was that, "he hit the game-winner in the 9th" doesn't qualify.
Something like Alex Cora's 18 foul-ball at-bat qualifies.
Mickey Mantle having the smarts and chutzpah to lay down an 0-2 bunt after hitting a HR qualifies.

Maybe my impression was wrong about what the originally intnded meaning was though.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 PM

I seriously hope no one brings up the worst at-bat I've ever seen.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This would have been 1961 or 1962.

I saw Ted Williams play at Yankee Stadium in his last year, 1960.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 urban legend

[/ QUOTE ]

I should say that my grandfather (RIP) saw Babe Ruth play. he mentioned this to me casually one day.