Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
Flushes come at least 50% of the time. They either do, or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is kind of a standard gambling fallacy - if there are 2 outcomes, then the probability of each occurring is 50%. It's kind of obvious it's not always true - gamblers recognize that a sports team can be a huge favorite. But when they are gambling on something for which they have little information, then they get clueless. For example, a prize is behind Door #1 or Door #2, almost everyone will jump to the conclusion that it's a 50/50 choice, when really they have no basis at all for assuming that.

I remember one $1/2 NL player who said JT was his favorite hand, and he always raises with it. He was getting short-stacked (surprise!) and went all in. He winced when someone called him - he assumed he was a big underdog until his opponent turned over AK, when he sighed relief and said "Oh good, I thought I was dominated - but it's a coin flip." I guess either he was gonna hit his cards or the other guy was, so it was a "coin flip", right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flushes come at least 50% of the time. They either do, or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is kind of a standard gambling fallacy - if there are 2 outcomes, then the probability of each occurring is 50%. It's kind of obvious it's not always true - gamblers recognize that a sports team can be a huge favorite. But when they are gambling on something for which they have little information, then they get clueless. For example, a prize is behind Door #1 or Door #2, almost everyone will jump to the conclusion that it's a 50/50 choice, when really they have no basis at all for assuming that.

I remember one $1/2 NL player who said JT was his favorite hand, and he always raises with it. He was getting short-stacked (surprise!) and went all in. He winced when someone called him - he assumed he was a big underdog until his opponent turned over AK, when he sighed relief and said "Oh good, I thought I was dominated - but it's a coin flip." I guess either he was gonna hit his cards or the other guy was, so it was a "coin flip", right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard someone say that a flush draw is 50/50 on the flop at least ten times. And I don't play live very much.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Drunkern 2/4 at Gold Coast (the only kind of 2/4 at Gold Coast)

I raise preflop with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], bet the two-[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] jack-high flop, bet the blank turn, and bet when I river a king. Middle-aged woman (who didn't completely suck) calls me down the whole way with JT for one pair. I table my hand and she rolls her eyes and lets out an audible disgusted groan.

Her: ...bluffing the whole way and caught it on the river.
Me: I had the flush draw, too.
Her: Yeah, but you had nothing until the river.

Then came the real gem.
"You'll always lose money betting when you don't even have a pair yet."

For those of you who want to scream "Don't teach the fish," I submit that they can't be taught poker. That's why they're fish. Duh.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM

this is kind of a blanket statement. horrible player who thinks he is awesome because he watches wpt raises. another player reraises. horrible player 4 bets. other player goes all in. horrible player calls. player who 5-bet shoved turns over KK or QQ. horrible player turns over JJ and loses the hand.

then he tells me under his breathe, "That guy down there is terrible. How could he go all in with QQ? I was representing AA. He is terrible."
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM

1-2NL...Arrogant young guy limp-calls a raise with 52s for $12 leaving himself $18 behind. He flops trips, check-calls all-in and cracks aces. "That's why I saw a raise with that hand; I knew aces would double me up if I hit." Friends nod in approval.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1-2NL...Arrogant young guy limp-calls a raise with 52s for $12 leaving himself $18 behind. He flops trips, check-calls all-in and cracks aces. "That's why I only have
$30 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, we won't tell him that. Don't tap the glass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 PM

lol this is the greatest thread ever.

i used to play a lot with this really good friend of mine, who happens to be a total fish. this one time i had two queens and go all in on a rainbow flop of all unders (he's a total calling station.) he called me with three to a flush and i asked him how he could possibly call me without even a pair. he said "i was hoping two more hearts would come." we proceeded to get into a lofty and heated philosophical discussion about living your life expecting unlikely things to happen.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 PM

I live in Florida so we just have the awful $2 limit games, I've heard infinite funny quotes like these....

Had AA on the button, everyone limps of course, I raise so they all immediately hate me, end up losing to 10 5 on the river. Old guy next to me starts explaining that it is bad to raise with aces because I haven't hit anything yet. He's like they always show people winning with aces on TV but it doesn't really happen that often. Then the next hand some guy had 22 and hit a set and won, and he's like SEE thats a good hand to raise with.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM

"I play low cards because everybody else plays high cards. Gamble..gamble...gamble...) -from a 4/8 kill game
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 AM

I love it when they twist some actual strategy around and mis-apply it. For instance, a calling station plays his gutshot draw to the river heads-up in $3-$6 limit, his opponent goes all-in with his last $1 chip at the end, and the calling station calls with 23, with zero hands that he could beat.

You have to call on the end for one bet when the pot gets big, right?