Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Default SEO tips, questions.

I've been researching pretty heavily on getting a good PR in google for a small niche.

One thing, that many of you may or may not know, is that the google toolbar for IE will automatically display a given pagerank when you visit a site.

So, if my niche was "wedding dresses" (not my real niche) I'd type that into google, and immediately find out the pr of the first site on page 1.

Another thing I didn't know, was that if you type "link:" followed by that sites URl into google, it will display the number of sites linking to that site, and where those links are coming from.

So, for my niche, the #1 site for my main keyword is a pr5 site. They have 400 back links coming in.

How easy, much money, ect do you think it would be to get those same sites to link mine? How easy would it be to get to the front page of google?

I know there are variables. I didn't know I could do this type of research on my competition, so any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: SEO tips, questions.

Sorry, I'm at work, my original post was rushed. My main question is how can I use this information to exploit my competition?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 PM

you acn't really exploit your competition, you just have to beat them. you know what you are working again, so you have to get more links from better quality sites. You could start by going to the sites they are linked at and see how many of htem are directories you can submit your own site to.

You can do similiar:website.com and see other sites, then find out where they are linked from.

It just takes a lot of work, and there is no 'easy' PR that will last.

start with big directories, then farm out some directory submission to india or turkey
Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Many of the links that a competitor has can't be replicated by you. What I mean by that is often times they will be created by a random person somewhere because they liked what was on the site. For example here on the forum there's probably 5-10 links to hostgator in various hosting threads. Someone from thesuckyhost Inc is going to have a hard time getting people to link to them on these forums. Other links come from blog posts where the blogger uses that product or service and thinks his visitors will find value in the site.

Also, don't get so caught up in the google toolbar PR too much, it's way over-rated. You could still get #1 for your main keyword term with less than PR5.

And to learn more about your own site and google, sign up for google webmaster tools
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Try to create something worth linking to. If you do then you'll have no problems getting links. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]