Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Default pl25, AA3 preflop

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($25.10)
BB ($8)
UTG ($25.40)
MP1 ($4.30)
MP2 ($13.70)
CO ($6)
Button ($16.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $1.25.

I'm a total fish at plo8. Do i need A2 the get in all in preflop here, or is this good? If i was in an early position is this still good enougth?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: pl25, AA3 preflop

IMO any AAWx is good enough to get it all-in preflop, especially against one opponent. So this is just fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM

I'd probably insta-push this... AA3x suited? Yeah, you're good. Even if he has AA23 double suited, you're 43%. And I'm pretty sure you're probably ahead of most hands here. Against a short stacked opponent, I wouldn't think twice.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO any AAxx is good enough to get it all-in preflop, especially against one opponent. So this is just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM

AAxx is never a big dog, but if you push with a hand like AAJ9r you're no better than a coinflip against most hands that will call you, and a slight dog against some really good hands like A2TJds or 2345s. In a tournament situation where getting the blinds is worthwhile I'd still push any AAxx, but if I'm playing cash with 100BB stacks I would normally not try to get it all in with the worst of the AAxx hands. Not to mention that once every several hundred hands you're up against someone else holding AAxx, and you would rather have the better hand in these showdowns...
Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do i need A2 the get in all in preflop here, or is this good? If i was in an early position is this still good enougth?

[/ QUOTE ]

HU, I'd rather have AA3 than A2. But of course, anything can happen once both players are all in (or in this case, your opponent) because he gets to see all the cards for that one, initialy fee, and perhaps if he only saw a few at a time, he would have reconsidered and folded somewhere. And, a lot of the time, there won't be a low, so it's always good to have backup. Like I said, once all the chips are in the middle, anything can happen, but there's a big difference between having AA as part of your hand opposed to the difference between A2 vs. A3.

With low blinds, I would probably limp in if I were in EP with AA3x and see if I can get someone else to raise the pot. And, depending on how many overcallers that raise received...I then might reraise the pot myslef. The thing is, when you're first to act and you have a strong hand (one that you'd probably prefer to play HU)even when you raise, it's never going to be big enough because there's nothing but the small blinds in the pot at this point, and that means that you're likely to receive more calls from players that want to "speculate" for a relatively cheap fee. That's why I prefer the limp/reraise. And if noone raises behind you, then so be it...you've at least added to the deception of your hand for the times that you flop a set (because most players in the lower PL games tend to raise preflop with AA from any position)

You also have to consider stack sizes in PL...who has what size stack? Was he the one who raised? What's your stack situation? etc...And, you have to know what it is exactly that you want to achieve with your raise and what you *think* will occur if/when you do. etc...