Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: The Locking of Things to do in Houston in OOT

I think it's easier to make an argument for what you did than "hey, what's up in X this weekend." Yours shows some work ahead of time and the possibility to add something to the discussion, the OP shows a desire to have their thought done for them.

Also, I bet there is pie on that counter.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM

I don't get it. Why don't you guys just leave the threads unlocked and let bad OPs get burned by the regulars. That's how they do it in BBV and B4L and it's much more fun. Many times theads that started out with stupid OPs end up being the best.

And although I like NT, I think he could chill a little bit with his attitude.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM

hey noah,

those are all fine, or you can also just state some of your general interests, what area of town you live in or are staying in, your age and spending range, etc. in general i don't think anyone wants ten or twelve threads like this per day but if they're well thought-out and detailed there's not much to complain about from my end
Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Why don't you guys just leave the threads unlocked and let bad OPs get burned by the regulars. That's how they do it in BBV and B4L and it's much more fun. Many times theads that started out with stupid OPs end up being the best.

And although I like NT, I think he could chill a little bit with his attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

that method is what BBV users want, and what they enjoy. BBV is a pretty good forum sometimes. as evidenced by some of the complaints from this weekend, it's not something that OOT users want, so it's not how we do it.

and if you had to lock basically the same thread three or four times a day, you'd probably stop being polite about it too
Old 05-28-2007, 10:11 PM

it's pretty silly that a lot of posts aren't moved to the relevant forum and are locked instead. many could be moved to laughs and links, bbv, etc. basic info that could be found from google should be locked, but asking about things to do in houston is a legit question, even if it doesn't belong in oot. locking threads like these seems even more silly when posters liked by mods are allowed to make troll posts. in short, the modding in oot is heavy handed and inconsistent.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 PM

totally.. retard posts by friends of mods are left alone and others are *'ed like its candy
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but asking about things to do in houston is a legit question, even if it doesn't belong in oot.

[/ QUOTE ]

but where should it be moved to? NT has already made it clear that things to do in houston is a legit question as long as the OP puts some thought into it and comes up with some ideas on his own. All you have to do is google "things to do in houston" and you can get 100 websites giving you 1000 ideas. Once you've read those, if you want to get an insider's POV and tripadvisor, etc. wasn't enough, then you can come to OOT and ask about specific places and things.

Making an OP "what should i do in houston" would be tantamount to going to HSNL and posting "how do i play good high stakes poker" or going to sports betting and saying "what team should i bet on to win the most money?"
Old 05-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Is it unrealistic to try to get opinions of posters that u respect on off topic subjects? Its obvious there are alot of smart and interesting people here. I know if I was the OP of the Houston thread I would quit posting here. I move around alot for work and would welcome a place to discuss Houston, Boise etc. I know I can google Houston but honestly it seems alot of the websites are made by advertisers. When I lived in Sarasota (and elsewhere) the best places to go were recommended by people whos opinions I respect. I thought there was a place here to do that.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:56 PM

As has been said multiple times in this thread alone it's fine to make a post about it. It's not fine to make a thread that says "houston, where should I go?" without adding anything more specific about your interests etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM

hooray for the upcoming travel forum!!!

also - Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is okay but is hardly anything super-fantastic. It's a chain. Been to the one in Memphis and we weren't overly impressed.