Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: An Eye for an Eye....

The problem with the U.N. is that the general assembly is set up as a democracy, when the vast majority of its member states are not, in fact, democracies.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the U.N. is that the general assembly is set up as a democracy, when the vast majority of its member states are not, in fact, democracies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent succint point.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes of course, an assassination attempt on a president not even in office now that occured ten years before the war was obviously the main reason for going to war.

[/ QUOTE ]
And repeated failures to abide by the terms of the armistice. After the 1992 attempt there should had been war but we had Clinton in office. Nuff said.....
Old 12-30-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Before they focus

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would have a better chance of preventing mirth if you admitted that almost all the military excursions abroad since WWII, engaged by the U.S., have been to project power and to promote geopolitical interests rather than self defense. "Stop them before we have to fight them in California" and all that crap just doesn't cut it anymore. Admit the truth, and we'll take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try to focus. The topic was whether the USA is justified in retaliating against against Syria and Iran for their actions against US soldiers in Iraq. Since both these countries are actively taking actions to kill US soldiers...I say yes.

[/ QUOTE ]And I say that the way you phrased it is a clear and useful example of the extremely arrogant midframe operating behind American actions and policies in the world. Have been so for quite some time! I also say that this kind of supreme arrogance has been noted by historians to be a prime sign of oncoming decay for world powers. Not the only sign, but cetainly a primary sign.

Whether the possession of nukes changes the analysis as much as jman220 posits, remains to be seen. But remember that it's not colonies or military possessions we have to worry about, today.

Mickey Brausch
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes of course, an assassination attempt on a president not even in office now that occured ten years before the war was obviously the main reason for going to war.

[/ QUOTE ]
And repeated failures to abide by the terms of the armistice. After the 1992 attempt there should had been war but we had Clinton in office. Nuff said.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, are you being serious? How come in the lead up to the war I didn't hear Bush and his interventionalist cronies spouting this instead of "ZOMG he has WMDs and him and OBL are BFFs now!".
Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, are you being serious? How come in the lead up to the war I didn't hear Bush and his interventionalist cronies spouting this instead of "ZOMG he has WMDs and him and OBL are BFFs now!".

[/ QUOTE ]

And the retaliation for 9/11 since Bush could not find the culprits! At least he gave appearances that he did!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Teeth for tooth

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The cosmetic General Assembly functions democratically but the only U.N. organ with executive authority, the Security Council, does not.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's the problem. that's why it happens such an undemocratic results like voting for the motion condemning the US embargo of cuba when a result was 137:3. three members against the motion: US, israel and uzbekistan.

" The United States has to realize it does not own Central America or any other part of the world, and that people have a right to shape their own destiny, to choose the type of government they want. We don't lose Cuba, we don't lose Nicaragua, because they were never ours to lose."
Sister Ita Ford, one of four U.S. churchwomen slain by Salvadoran soldiers in 1980
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: US to leave the UN?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yet the U.N. has failed to prevent every major slaughter or genocide-type of mass killing (that I can think of) in the 20th century.

[/ QUOTE ]
Second time I've seen this "logic" in this thread. Of course the United Nations failed to prevent the ones that actually happened--if it prevented any, they didn't happen.

Sorry for being snippy, and obviously the rest of your post is well thought out. This is a minor quibble, but for some reason it really bugged me.

Maybe because it's the flip side of the Bush administration bragging about all the terrorist attacks that didn't happen. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to how many mass killings would have happened on average in a given 50 year time period, and then see if the number is more or less than that for the last 50 years. For them to have prevented any at all, the world must have been a much bloodier place in the past than I thought.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: US to leave the UN?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yet the U.N. has failed to prevent every major slaughter or genocide-type of mass killing (that I can think of) in the 20th century.

[/ QUOTE ]
Second time I've seen this "logic" in this thread. Of course the United Nations failed to prevent the ones that actually happened--if it prevented any, they didn't happen.

Sorry for being snippy, and obviously the rest of your post is well thought out. This is a minor quibble, but for some reason it really bugged me.

Maybe because it's the flip side of the Bush administration bragging about all the terrorist attacks that didn't happen. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to how many mass killings would have happened on average in a given 50 year time period, and then see if the number is more or less than that for the last 50 years. For them to have prevented any at all, the world must have been a much bloodier place in the past than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

The UN wasn't founded following an average 50 year period. It was founded after a short period in which two world wars occurred that between them killed over 50 million people and following which the possibility of a third involving nuclear weapons and perhpas the end of the world was a major fear. Indeed it was founded largely to avert such a catastrophe.