Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Against a Poster

Okay, I didn't know that.. I play 6max, and I was taught that early posting is never a good thing - always wait for the big blind to get to me.. So this isn't entirely true?

And yes, I agree the call would be mandatory if there was a turn 3bet. It's still not a good thing.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think this is true, either. In either person's shoes, I see this situation as a clear case of steal v. resteal. If I were CO holding 77 against solely the button, and the flop came 9-high, I'd probably 3-bet the flop also (actually, I'd c/r that flop... but his line also has merit). And if I were Hero, I'd think, "that damn TAG is stealing again; I'll isolate him with 66."

Then both Hero and Villain played this hand very well against Ax (where x<>9).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say other than playing 77 as the villain did postflop is retarded and guarantees he loses the most and wins the least.

As for us, raising the flop is probably a spew in itself. This is standard wa/wb let him hang himself type stuff here.

Our turn action is just unspeakable too versus CO's hand range. What is the point of raising the turn? It's clearly not for value because we aren't value betting the river behind.

This hand is just a show both ways.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I didn't know that.. I play 6max, and I was taught that early posting is never a good thing - always wait for the big blind to get to me.. So this isn't entirely true?

[/ QUOTE ]
In full ring posting in CO is actually better than to start posting BB. You're price for the first orbit when posting in CO is 0.14 sb/hand and 0.15 sb/hand when you start posting in BB (sb = small bet). With a decent WR it would easily be more profitable to start posting in MP3 rather than waiting for BB.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I were Hero, I'd think, "that damn TAG is stealing again; I'll isolate him with 66."

[/ QUOTE ]
Isolate him from who? It's HU...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is standard wa/wb let him hang himself type stuff here.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is as far from a "standard wa/wb" as you could get.

[ QUOTE ]
Our turn action is just unspeakable too versus CO's hand range. What is the point of raising the turn? It's clearly not for value because we aren't value betting the river behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 PM

nick-

When he leads into us on the flop, what's our best case scenario? we're either toast or he has 6ish outs. In my opinion being either a 4:1 favorite versus a 9:1 dog puts us in a clear wa/wb scenario.

Along those lines, whether you want to call it wa/wb or not, do you really think we gain more by raising him at any point postflop in this hand?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nick-

When he leads into us on the flop, what's our best case scenario? we're either toast or he has 6ish outs. In my opinion being either a 4:1 favorite versus a 9:1 dog puts us in a clear wa/wb scenario.

Along those lines, whether you want to call it wa/wb or not, do you really think we gain more by raising him at any point postflop in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
As you pointed out both players spewed in this hand. And the wb-part of the wa/wb-situation is correct. First of all, if we raise the flop it must be with the intention of folding to a 3-bet.

However, preflop villain could hold any type of hand since it's a usual strategy to raise any 2 when folded to posting in CO (especially by TAGs). So on the flop villain could hold virtually any hand, bottom, middle or top pair, a PP lower or higher than 77 (maybe even a set even though I don't think the TAG will bet the flop with a set often), a fd or maybe even only overs (our read is vague).

I think the best plan on the flop against most of these hands is to call the flop and raise the turn for a free sd. This line might get villain to fold better hands 88 or maybe even JJ/TT if villain is weak/tight because our line will look much like AA/KK (I think if a A/K/Q falls on the turn villain will be more inclined to bet/fold a PP better than ours). We will charge a fd that might have check/folded the river. We might get hands with 5-6 outs to fold (bottom/middle pair or overs). And if we get 3-bet will ~never fold a hand with more outs than 2. The only hand that we don't want to take this line against is a lower PP than ours, since that hand doesn't have more than 2 outs anyway, but a TAG will probably often check/fold these pairs on the river, making us incapable of extracting one more bet out of it anyway.

But given that we turn an oesd I think it's better to just call the turn too, since we can't fold to a 3-bet. If villain bet's the river it's time to make a decision (UI). Call or fold, it's somewhat depending on the river card. Since our read is vague I could see calling, especially if the river isn't a club.