Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Limp Reraised Preflop

This was in my 2nd orbit at the table. The table was fairly tight with the exception of UTG+2. He limped in most pots and was raised by someone else to get heads up. I wasn't sure if he was getting sick of it and was playing back, or if he really had a legitimate hand. Post flop he was a typical calling station. I was totally confused throughout the hand and am sure I goofed it up.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 06-30-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Limp Reraised Preflop

i would have bet this river. he's almost always only going to raise you with a hand that beats you and call with lots of hands you beat.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:26 AM

i find in these hands that either ur up against significant strength, ie AA, KK, or AK, which fish think they can slowplay for some reason, or the other option is smaller suited cards that for some reason induces a three bet bluff. I find more often than not that an LPP calling station holds some unusual cards like 108s and plays back out of frustration (i assume). i would def bet out the riv.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was in my 2nd orbit at the table. The table was fairly tight with the exception of UTG+2. He limped in most pots and was raised by someone else to get heads up. I wasn't sure if he was getting sick of it and was playing back, or if he really had a legitimate hand. Post flop he was a typical calling station. I was totally confused throughout the hand and am sure I goofed it up.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp re-raise by an idiot usually means he still has two cards. I play it the same except bet the river.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:16 AM

It seems like practically every time I've been limp re-raised, I've always been shown AA or KK. Of course that is just anecdotal evidence and its not always the case, but I tend to play this situation very timidly. I personally c/c the flop, and c/f the turn UI. Then again, I play these situations very weak and passive, so I'm not sure that is the best advice.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:13 AM

I don't think I would have called the turn. It's not likely you'll win unimproved (I guess he has an overpair), so you're drawing. If you take a positive stance and count your overcards as 6 full outs (which they probably aren't, tho a paired board is good for you) you still need 1:6.7 odds to draw. You're not getting that, and even with implied odds you're only at 1:6.5. And that's assuming your overcards are 6 outs; if he has AK, QQ, KK you only have 3, AA drawing nearly dead (plus the unlikely hands of 44, 77, 88). I guess it depends on your read. Certain players I call to showdown, because they frequently show me ace-rag highcard. But this is a calling station who is betting and raising. If you call the turn you also commit yourself to calling the river if you miss. Because basically by calling the turn you're saying he's bluffing, so you have to showdown. Guess you won this pot with an ace on the river?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 PM

Yeah, he had QQ.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he had QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note him as an idiot.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he had QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note him as an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Besides the questionable sandbagging preflop, he played the hand correctly I think. Our Hero may have made two mistakes...(calling the turn and not betting the river: if you call the turn you assume he does not have AK or it would be an obvious mistake. Since he doesn't have AK, you should value bet the river)