Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Hypothetical Preflop Question

This seems to come up a few times per session and I don't know if I handle this right. A typical 2/4 game and I'm in mid to late position with something like 88. It is folded to a mid position player who has stats like 30/15/1. He raises and another player between us calls who is 30/2/.7 calls. What is my play here?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Preflop Question

drawing type hands (in which i would include 8,8), i will usually call a raise in late position with at least 3 in front of me (i like more). since you only have two, i would throw 8,8 away here.....
Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 PM

fold
Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM

you usually have the best hand, 3bet. a very strong argument can be made for cold-calling, but i want the pot as short as possible so i tend to reraise the loose raiser. the question for me comes with the passive coldcaller. if this is the type to automatically go to the river it takes away from the strength of the 3bet(but i still usually would).
Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 PM

I think you should run this through poker stove.

Normally, I'd say fold the 8s, but given these players, their ranges and tendancies, you may be able to profit by either raising or calling. A lot depends on the tighness of the remaining players, though. Calling is probably worse than raising as it is hard to get the right set odds in this scenario: it takes a few bad players behind to do that. 3 betting gives you position.

But, if you want a quick answer: raise.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM

From a 15% pfr, given your relative positions, this seems like an easy trey-bet to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Given the play you've discribed here, I think I 3-bet it, and here's why:

Raiser is a psuedo-LAG, and he could easily be raising with any PP, any suited ace, or maybe even worse, if he's crazy. The LP between you could also have any of these hands, and he would probably 3-bet hands that have you crushed, so you shouldn't be worried about him. I would want to keep this pot down to 3 people, while maintaining position on everyone, so I would 3-bang and push out everyone else. This could also generate some fold equity from the PRF, but I would wager that you'll probably have to go to showdown against the LP (totally making this up, btw).
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM

3-bet for sure.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this such an easy 3-bet? Just because someone has a 30% entering pot rate doesn't mean s/he will cold call with weaker hands? I think this is a potentially dangerous spot with 88 and should be more dependent on what you think someone will cold call with. If you 3-bet against 2 players you can't be happy with 2 overcards and there is a greater chance that even one will sink you. Nonetheless, I think a 3-bet here is often strong, just not all the time. I think call would be the least of my options, although I would do it in very particular situations.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this such an easy 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's likely that Hero is ahead here. Buy the button, and manufacture the high pair after the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I think call would be the least of my options, although I would do it in very particular situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think a call here is a horrendous decision unless Hero has a good reason to believe that there will be callers behind.