Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Default opening and folding to a cap?

This hand gave me nightmares because of what happened on subsequent streets, but:

$2/4 6 handed
I raise T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG
it's folded to CO (50/15/1/5 type) who re-raises.
Folded to BB (TAG regular, but with PFR% around 11) who caps
I fold.

What hands are correct to fold for a cap and in what situations? I've been in this situation several times recently in aggro games facing a cap in the BB are after raising with hands like QJs, AJs and not happy folding or calling.

JJ+ and AQs+ (sometimes KQs and AJs with position) I'm capping.

Where/in what situations will you find folds if you open raise in early position and it's capped back to you?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: opening and folding to a cap?

certainly not anything as strong as TT. I will fold dominated offsuit hands depending on the players (like AJ-AT, KQ). That's about it. Any pair and anything suited sees a flop unless an ubernit is the capper.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 AM

No way duder, you're getting 5 to 1, enough implied for set value, let alone the fact you could be best.

I'm calling most of the suited hands I opened with, and every pocket pair. AJo is an easy fold, AQo not so easy but I still probably fold it when an 11% coldcaps.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
certainly not anything as strong as TT. I will fold dominated offsuit hands depending on the players (like AJ-AT, KQ). That's about it. Any pair and anything suited sees a flop unless an ubernit is the capper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold A8s and stuff in this spot a lot, is that a mistake?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold A8s and stuff in this spot a lot, is that a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold this if It's capped by the button and I'm OOP. Other hands such as JTs and QTs raised byme UTG or HJ and then capped - I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. Depends on the opponents.

If this is a leak, then it's a tiny one since it's a relatively rare situation and calling/folding with the more marginal raising hands probably doesn't give/give up much value.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 AM

@ Kimchi

Folding any pair there is a mistake IMO

As Sharpie said. 5:1 dude! Dont ever fold a pp with those odds. Play for set value.

I would fold A8s. JTs and QJs are prolly folds as well (I dunno really) but they look so pretty so I cant muck em.

Off suit hands I would fold AJ and worse. I wouldnt be thrilled calling with AQ against this BB so that one might be a fold as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand gave me nightmares because of what happened on subsequent streets

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I should have called for set value. I'd been having an awful session and had a bad feeling about this hand (tilt?). I also had something interesting happening on the other 2 tables and I thought I'd let this go expecting o/cards on the flop...

Flop came A9T and almost every street was capped [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] the capper had 99 (winner) but I can't remember what the other fellow had.

I've called with much smaller pocket pairs in this spot, not sure why I dumped my tens.