Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Got trashed by a purple belt

Just went to a new BJJ and Muay Thai school near my house. I hadn't trained since i went home for the summer (lolstillinschoolaments), about a month.

So this place is brand new, and it's just me and the instructor. Training with a gi is very different than no-gi, its wierd. Anyway, i sorta kinda somewhat held my own, but he lapel choked me like 4 times in a row. From the top, from the bottom, from sidemount, etc. he was pretty much toying with me. discuss.

I've probably never rolled with anybody that good before. I was a little bigger and could stay in his guard and not get subbed, except for the damn lapel choke. I had no f'n idea how to stop that. He would still easily beat me, but the stupid chokes made it jsut unfair.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Got trashed by a purple belt

yea, training in a gi is soo different, you hafta learn at least 20 new chokes using it, it also makes it easier to get control of your opponent, grabbing sleves, lapels, pants, also purple belts are crazy good, there's my run-on of the day
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM

i use to see that old dude roycie fight in a gi and never understood, it always was falling off him and [censored], only thing i can see is it may make gripping tighter but other than that i dunno.

explain gi usefulness in layman terms
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM

um, there really is no advantage to wearing one yourself, the reason gracie did it was to rep gracie jiu jitsu really, the point if you and your opponent are both wearing it is it reduces the amount of sliperyness that you hafta deal with, a lot easier to grab, also it adds a lot more variety to the fight as i said because of all the different stuff you can do with it and finally it sorta immitates fighting on the street as guys don't generally walk around shirtless
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM

If your opponent is wearing one, you can choke him with it, and more easily control his arms and legs with it. That's about what i know right now. No-gi is much more slippery and fluid and dynamic, imo.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 PM

I know a blackbelt that is 5 foot, 80 pounds. F'ing joke, Id trash her in a fight. color of belt means nothing.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a blackbelt that is 5 foot, 80 pounds. F'ing joke, Id trash her in a fight. color of belt means nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

hello, welcome to my thread. I'm talking about brazilian jiu jitsu and how i was recently beaten at it by a very experience grappler. How does this relate to what you said in the slightest?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 AM

I woulda ripped of my gi and pants and underwears and whipped his ass naked, but that's just me.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i'm assuming she takes a crap martial art, if so yes i'm sure you could, but pick any bjj black belt, or judo black belt, or muay thai black belt(not sure they have belts but the equivalent) and you will get your ass handed to you

Danny, i think after some training with the gi and getting used to the new moves i think you might learn to like it, you can do some vicious stuff with lapels around the neck and stuff
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Also, purple is BJJ is often waaaaaaaay longer than black belt in traditional martial arts like karate, kung fu, tae know do, etc. Those places are pretty much just belt factories. You REALLY have to be hot shtt before you advance in BJJ.