Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Decent UPS

Basically I am looking for a recommendation on a decent UPS / battery back up that can keep a few things on for approx an hour.... A 1U server and a desktop with only 1 monitor and a router....

Anyone have any suggestions? Im honestly not sure what to buy as I have never had to just used what was around previously.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Decent UPS

I've had bad luck w/ any brand not an APC.

As far as which models, it depends somewhat on how much you're willing to spend. I like the "SmartUPS" line since they put out a true sine wave, will bump up the voltage during a brownout, and have a proven track record for reliability. They are on the expensive side, tho.

As for the size, Basically you need one that can put out enough current to run what you need for a matter of minutes, then add battery capacity for extended run time.

Many people look at specs and wind up buying 2 or 3 models higher than they need, because larger-VA (Volt Amp) units typically have longer run times. Depending how industrious you are, you could even wire in external batteries yourself. I had 2 deep cycle 1000Amp-hour batteries wired to a little APC SmartUPS 700VA unit and could run 2 computers and a monitor for 3 days (this was in 200MHz socket 7 boars w/ single hard drives...which I believe would have drawn less power than modern machines. I was using a CRT tho, which obv draws more power than an LCD).

Another friend of mine has a 3000VA SmartUPS that he has wired into his panel at home and car run the whole house on it. A few years ago a bad ice storm took out power in his area for a week. He has about 24 Gel Cells wired in to the UPS and would remove a few at a time to charge them w/ his car idling in the driveway as necessary.

Cheapest way out would be to eBay some units w/o batteries and wire up your own (or purchese the "correct" ones from a battery wholesale place to keep it looking neat). Do some research on battery pricing though. They are very expensive, and some units have several battery packs inside. A $50 deal on a $3000 UPS is not a good deal if it'll cost you $2,000 in betteries when you could have gotten a $300 unit requiring $500 of batteries.

If I had to make a guess, I'd think a 700VA unit would suffice, provided you could have enough battery capacity. A 1000VA would give you more wiggle room and the option of running something else as well (light, small tv, radio, etc)

HTH.

(and happy b-day)