Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Default UFC vs WEC

i've been watching a lot of WEC lately since VS has it on a couple of nights a week.

I was wondering if anyone else has caught any of this fight league? There are a few guys in it that are top shelf.

Urijah Faber- 145lbs- 19-1 he's an absolute machine and i'm pretty sure could walk into the UFC and hang with the best of them and compete for the title within 6 months. d-1 wrestler with probably the strongest motor i've seen on any fighter. He relentlessly works his opponent at all times when he is in the mount- and with more effectiveness than i think i've seen anyone else in mma do it.

The kid would certainly give sean sherk a run for his money.

Brock Larson - 21-1 170lbs- fighter who is another serious wrecking machine. Heavy handed and a solid wrestler. Not on anderson silva's level but he can bang.

there are a few of these guys that are very close to the top of the mma game overall and i'm hoping that UFC and WEC start pulling some crossovers similar to the rampage henderson ufc/pride cross.

Any other WEC fighters you guys can think of that would make for good UFC candidates?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: UFC vs WEC

if paulo filho isn't the best 185'er in the world, he's damn close
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM

I've seen some of that kid, Faber. I agree he's a great 145. But Sherk is a full grown man, been in there with legends. I don't think this kid will be strong enough to compete with that beast for a long long time. I think the lighter that you go, the more important physical strength is.

You've reach a point with Sherk that he has such great wrestler strength and just flat out bench press 3x his weight strength, when his opponent weighs 155 it really doesn't matter if he can wrestle. Look at GSP and Kos, GSP was just too big and strong, and that is at 175. Going higher up to heavyweight, physical strength matters less, they all are big and strong, ie Monson isn't going to manhandle Silvia, the dude is a giant.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Re: Filho

Most rankings have him at number 2 behind A. Silva. It's probably really close though.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM

WEC is fun to watch because they focus more on the little guys that never stop moving. Faber is pretty badass, but he may be a little to undersized for the UFC LW division. I'm trying to remember if I've seen Brock Larson. I watch the WEC in the background of doing stuff all the time and don't remember most of the guys I've seen.