Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Default why isn\'t evolution taught to children from the age of 5?

Evolution is a part of science and it is a pretty important part of our lives, so why is it not taught to children from an early age? Why don't high school students graduate with a strong understanding of the mechanics of evolution?

Is it because the government would prefer for more of its citizens to go on believing in Christianity so that they are easier to control and manipulate?

Why does religion always get a free pass in terms of our tolerance for ignorance?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: why isn\'t evolution taught to children from the age of 5?

[ QUOTE ]
Evolution is a part of science and it is a pretty important part of our lives, so why is it not taught to children from an early age? Why don't high school students graduate with a strong understanding of the mechanics of evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends whether you are living in, truly, a first world country or a third world backwater. Simple as that!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends whether you are living in, truly, a first world country or a third world backwater. Simple as that!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I went to a very good public High School in the United States and I had graduated with the vaguest understanding of evolution. I don't remember 'selfish genes' being taught anyway whatsoever. Evolution was taught as a single chapter in biology as far as I can remember. It was never discussed in Elementary or Middle School.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM

I was taught evolution in 9th grade and it was covered pretty thoroughly.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Economics is more important than evolution and far more complicated, but you're lucky to even get a semester of that in high school.

Even more important... balancing your budget and not running up credit card debt. We should definitely start teaching these things at age 5.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Wouldn't the majority of people have to believe evolution to be fact before it was really taught?

I mean, those fossils were put there by the devil to tempt us. Dont you guys know anything?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Economics is more important than evolution and far more complicated

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Evolution is not particulary useful for your average student or citizen. I would rather them teach people how to think critcally about advertisements than teach them evolution. I think PE is more important than learning about evolution. I say cover evolution for a week or something and then leave it to college level classes for the people who it really matters to. Even in just science there are way more important things out there to teach, like the scientific method and experiment design.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM

KKF,

I don't think children develop logical reasoning capabilities by so young an age. Anything you teach them at a very young age is pretty much indoctrination (some indoctrination is good, of course; language, reading, don't touch the red hot stove burner, etc.).
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Evolution really isn't that important. Or rather, having a good understanding of evolution isn't really that important for the average person.

I really don't think it has anything to do with religion.