Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: The Collective Wisdom of 2+2

[ QUOTE ]

I have no clue how you do the other way that is clearly way faster, but teach me. Lol. No wonder you get these up so fast [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not how I do the Digests though. With the Digests I have to actually read and evaluate threads. With this I could assume that if a thread was linked in a sticky/FAQ it was worth including.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

thank you!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Not that anybody cares...

When I originally created the SSNL Master Sticky (a complete re-write of Xorbie's OP) I learned that to create a valid URL to a post, all you need is the post # which can be found at the top of every post. I created a template UBB link like this:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>title</pre><hr />

I'd keep a template link like this in the copy of the SSNLMS I kept on my hard drive, make edits to that copy then paste them to the SSNLMS post (sans the template link). Adding a new link took about 10 seconds. Copy &amp; paste the template link, double-click the word 'title' in the template &amp; paste in the title (from the target post open in another browser window), then double-click the post number '123456' and paste in the post number.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Nice! Thanks Grunch, should have been obvious! Will def help with future editions of the Digest.

BTW, I can reciprocate - If you ever want to know the format for direct linking Search sever queries (as in this post: How To Filter This Forum) PM me and I'll write up some documentation (or just examine the links yourself and you'll likely get it). I'm sure there's a bunch of potential uses in stickies and FAQs I haven't thought of.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 PM

CMAR, I think I owe you oral satisfaction. OK, you probably wouldn't have any luck collecting on that, but if I ever meet you I swear the drinks are on me. This is [censored] awesome.

I just wanted to add that there was some good stuff buried in the probability forum. Maybe some regular could dig up the best and post it in this thread. From memory I can only find these two threads that really helped me out.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to add that there was some good stuff buried in the probability forum. Maybe some regular could dig up the best and post it in this thread. From memory I can only find these two threads that really helped me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool!

I find it really fascinating how this thing illustrates the cultures of 2+2.

A bunch of forums are really ethereal with basically no past and no history. Their stickies are just posting guidelines. I used to be a semi-regular in Psychology, for example, and I know there have been amazing posts there, however there isn't even a sticky at all. But that forum is such a fluid thing, you really do have to be actively reading it to get the full benefit so that's almost the way it should be...

OTOH, you have SSNL which has an incredible encyclopedia and is easily the largest section in my document. There they have a culture which actively encourages Pooh-Bah posts, Digest and Wells. Then you have uNL which was spun-off from SSNL and is obviously tremendously influenced by this and they're on their way to their own encyclopedia. Finally FRNL which is largely made up of former SSNL'ers too so once again we seen that same pull to document and preserve.

Then on still another hand, we have HSNL. Their "A Best of Thread" is pure gold but looks completely understated because of the way its laid out. You get the impression they're past the point of caring about niceties like formatting or indexing. Thinking on levels way above those of us who still need lists. And they probably are.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 PM

bueno bueno bueno goodbye to my 75k hand goal for the month, this [censored] is gold thanks man
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

That somebody was me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]... Thank you so much for the effort, you are the best! I think this one should be stickied somewhere anyways (more wisdom here than all books together) but where? Synergy forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks CMAR this is a fantastic post! Thanks for putting in the effort.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 PM

CMAR for president!!!!

Thanks buddy.