Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: What\'s a n00b supposed to do ?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot for the input so far .. now I'm bragging for some more.

Do you think it makes any difference if I choose FL-6max or NL for my next "game" ?

I've taken a couple of shots on 6max, with results so-so, though I definitely think, I can beat it with study and work put into it. In the last days I've experimented with NL-SnG's (playmoney .. yeah, laugh at me, only to get the smell of it, to look what it's like to have to place pot-ratio bets asf. I think I did quite well. Finished 1st against 27, 3rd and 8th against 45, 1st agaist 9 and got whipped early 3 or 4 times because of unfortunate coinflips).

So I'm wondering if taking on 1$ buy-in NL-SnG's could be a good idea. Risk appears to be very controllable.

So, any comments ? And TIA again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SnGs are great for learning NL because you're just risking a small buy in. If you're looking to mix things up NL is going to do that better than playing 6 max limit, but 6 max limit is a great game to learn to play as well and it'll help with your full ring limit game, and your NL game as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM

*grunch

Started the same way I did. I have tried the multi approach but now I focus on one aspect at a time.

First go round I played everything as cheaply as possible. Limit, NL, tournies, Stud, omaha, draw, pineapple and whatever else these websites had to offer. Now they have horse and I play that for free a lot when I don't want to gamble but still work on skill sets.

Each game has something different which it offers and playing it helps to improve that particular skillset and you never know when you can use that skillset.

That being said however, trying to be a sponge and at the same time make money and build a bankroll is extremely difficult.

The wealth of information you need to know is resounding.

The advice I got shortly after banging my head on this fact was simple but effective.

Start and play as many games as you can until you get a fundamental feel for them all. Then pick one that feels the best.

Whether its limit because of the safety of bankroll management or omaha because of excellent discipline, or stud because of excellent card memory or NL because of great patience and reads, pick one and work hard at it to a level of comfort.

Once you are sure you can make money playing this game at this level then its time to switch up.

I am currently on my third iteration of building succeeding at full ring up to 2/4. Breaking even in NL tournies and now working on 6 max limit.

After I get to 6 max at a profitable level I will probably cash out again, buy another camera or computer and then start working on NL cash games.

Its a lot of fun for me working this way. Good luck to you.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The advice I got shortly after banging my head on this fact was simple but effective.

Start and play as many games as you can until you get a fundamental feel for them all. Then pick one that feels the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your ideas. Maybe that's exactly what I should do now. Even though my first stabs at 6max weren't particularly successful I really liked the aggressiveness of the game. Microlimit FR feels sort of too mathematical, too mechanical or straightforward. (Of course this changes as the limits increase)

Once when I was really fed up with chess I switched to Go for a while. I never got any better than novice in Go but in the long run it definitely helped me improve my chess game.

And funny how things sometimes have a tendency to decide for themselves what's right. After my last post I enrolled in another playmoney NL SnG with 45 entrants - and I won it. So I got myself a proper dinner and then felt ready to spend one of my hard earned bucks as an entrance fee to another SnG ... and again I freaking [censored by myself] won it. Now that one buck has thirteen brothers [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM

The answer to "should I try other games/structures?" is always yes. You might find you like them better, you might find that the games are better or will become better, and you'll always increase you understanding of poker in general.