Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 AM

Default The Final Table SUCKED Thread

I watched most of the final table, and decided that it was totally lame. So I thought we'd start a thread and compile reasons why it sucked.

My top three:

3) The horrible aversion to playing postflop poker, especially heads-up. The guys played a couple tiny pots on flops, but there was way to much overbetting preflop and stuff. Nothing cool happened after the board came down. Nothing.

2) HORRRIBLE poker played all around. Raymond Rayme somehow got to the final table in a 5000 player field, then checkraises all in with KK in a reraised pot on an A high board laying 3:1. That's the kind of [censored] I saw at $25 Party Poker tables back in the day. "OMG I HAVE KK I RERAISE PREFLOP OMG ACE ON FLOP I CANT FOLD KK THREE HANDED IM ALL IN OH NO HE HAS AN ACE WHAT AN AWFUL BEAT" Jesus christ.

1) TWO HUNDRED [censored] HANDS IN SIXTEEN [censored] HOURS. That's 12 hands an hour. TWELVE. Live poker is 3x that fast at a normal table, online tables are like 5-8x as fast. Granted its a WSOP final table yadda yadda but there is NO excuse for the absurd degree of Hollywooding for the most mundane decisions. It does not take sixty full seconds for Jerry Yang to make his preflop action, even if its a fold. Tuan Lam does not need to take two minutes to fold to Jerry's fiftieth preflop raise in a row. It's stupid.

/rant

Your turn.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: The Final Table SUCKED Thread

4) I was not at the table.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4) I was not at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be 0) for me
Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 AM

I watched all 15+ hours or w/e, lol, having not been to sleep the day before and didn't fall asleep. I liked it for the most part. The first 5ish hours were exciting, lots of jaming and calling with... uh... strange hands. Four handed was a lot better but most hands were Jerry raises and wins or Jerry 3-bets and wins PF. I don't think he got hit by the deck, just a stone maniac. A bit upset that Tuan and Rahme didn't see more flops, even OOP. But it was worth the like $1.10 an hour. Definitely want to see more hands per hour though.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 AM

I think all OP's points are solid, especially #1. Regarding point #2, I believe that if you mask the stake/tournament and just show a hand replay on a computer, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish this from a $30 online MTT.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 AM

imho very very bad. this was nothing compared to last year.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 AM

It's funny how they altered the structure to allow for more play and no one took advantage of it. People routinely folded to reraises preflop with position and plenty of chips to play with. Whenever there was any sort of money in preflop, people were way too aggressive on the flop. It was terrible, scared poker, and I'm glad Yang won because he was the only one at the table with any balls (even though his praying for cards thing was disgusting and way out of line).
Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was terrible, scared poker, and I'm glad Yang won because he was the only one at the table with any balls

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) HORRRIBLE poker played all around. Raymond Rayme somehow got to the final table in a 5000 player field, then checkraises all in with KK in a reraised pot on an A high board laying 3:1. That's the kind of [censored] I saw at $25 Party Poker tables back in the day. "OMG I HAVE KK I RERAISE PREFLOP OMG ACE ON FLOP I CANT FOLD KK THREE HANDED IM ALL IN OH NO HE HAS AN ACE WHAT AN AWFUL BEAT" Jesus christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if he had gotten bluffed off his KK everyone would be saying "OMG how could he fold after having committed so many chips? Can't he see Yang is bluffing again?"
Old 07-19-2007, 03:18 AM

I winced when Rahme started chirping.. the minute he gabbed, I knew Yang was calling.

I was watching it on TiVo this morning (without knowing who won) and called out A2, A3 or A4 for Yang.