Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Pot odds

In a recent discussion, a relatively good player stated if pot odds are 4:1 or better it is correct to call with any two cards. I find this to be somewhat troublesome. As an example, you're on the button player in early position raises (tight player) you have 7 2os but you're getting good pot odds, could it be correct to call??
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Pot odds

Stacks? Will he go broke with top pair?

I gather these are among the better questions to ask at nl holdem.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm not sure what this means.

It's true that preflop you're unlikely to have less than a 20% chance of winning heads up, but (a) you may not be heads up and (b) there are more bets to come.

72o wins about 30% of the time against most non-pair hands but that's only if it's dealt to the river. 96.5% of the time you don't get two pair or three of a kind on the flop, so you have to fold to any bet. Even if you do get a pair of 7's and it's checked to the river and you win, you don't win much.

On the other hand, he could mean this to apply on the river. He could be saying that there's always at least a 20% chance that the other player is bluffing. The trouble is (a) that's not true of all players and (b) who bluffs with a small bet and (c) what if you can't beat a bluff?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM

In a recent discussion, a relatively good player stated if pot odds are 4:1 or better it is correct to call with any two cards.

In what context did the player say this?

If for example blinds are T1000-T2000 with a T100 ante at a full table of 10 players. Preflop the pot has T4000 in it. If a player goes all in for T6000 everyone folds to you in the big blind. It will now cost you T4000 to win T10000. You have T40,000 in chips.

The pot odds offered are 2.5-1. Most players will call in this spot based on the pure math not on the cards.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...who bluffs with a small bet ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Post Oak Bluff.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

If you are talking about a tourney and the other player is all-in and nobody else is in the pot and you are last to act, then yes.

If you are in the small blind in a limped pot where you are going to have to make a decision on the flop, then not usually unless you are excellent at postflop play and the opponents are weak/tight.

Some players play a wide range in Limit Holdem calling raises from the BB because of good pot odds. Poker Tracker should be able to tell you if this is a leak.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Trying to make this brief. His statement was in any situations, which I assume in tourney situations but still, my point to him was, pot odds alone should not be the reason for calling the bet. I'm sure you agree, there are several other factors involved.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to make this brief. His statement was in any situations, which I assume in tourney situations but still, my point to him was, pot odds alone should not be the reason for calling the bet. I'm sure you agree, there are several other factors involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

If no other betting can take place, then you need to call for value if the call offers 4-1 on the call.

In that spot its a pure math decision.