Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Travelling overseas alone

I dont know if this has been included in any of teh travel threads, but there are a ton of them and it would take forever to find the answer. So I post this in teh hopes that someoen knows exactly where to find an answer, or to get some questions answered, feel free to move.

Im planning a trip right now to go to italy in august of 2008, I dont knwo anyone that has teh money or the desire to go really, most of my friends would ahve to bring their wife, or are broke. Is it worth it to travel alone? will I have as good of a time alone? I understand very very basic italian, and am plannign on taking italian this summer/schoolyear/next summer. Im not going the college kid route, I want a car, stay in nice hotels, so hostels etc are out. i plan on making my own itinerary for the trip too, from northern italy to sicily in 14 days or so, seeing things along the way. Should I find someoen to go etc?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Travelling overseas alone

No. Travelling alone is a fantastic experience. I've travelled alone for most of my trips, most noteably South East Asia, New York City, Costa Rica, most of Europe...basically places people deemed 'dangerous' for a young solo female traveller. I poo pood that.

I found that more people approached me to try and keep me company at dinner when I was eating alone (although I was perfectly happy eating alone most times). I kept my pack small so I didn't have to worry about watching it all the time. Sometimes the cost (esp Europe) can rise quite a bit if you are alone, but honestly, I found it so freeing. You can do what you want to, do not have to cater to someone else's wishes, you eat when you're hungry, stop for a rest when you're weary.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM

have you done any solo traveling before? This is a very personal thing - some people dig it, some don't.

if you haven't, perhaps you could take a 'tester' trip somewhere in the US to see how happy you are traveling alone
Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM

No I havent, not extensively, Ive stayed over night, or a weekend on business, somewhat alone, and I usually had a good time, or met some people to drink with, but 2 or 3 weeks seems like a long time. Has there been an Italy thread yet abotu sights to see?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 PM

I prefer travelling alone. I've done Europe, Australia/New Zealand, and Japan solo. it's great because there are absolutely no compromises. the only thing is that I stayed in hostels where it's super easy to make short-term friends. I say go for it. if you're an introvert you probably won't mind spending a lot of time by yourself and if you're an extrovert you're probably already pretty good at making friends with strangers.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Also, I was told italy in august is shut down, what will that mean? On the one hand I guess I can travel much easier and qquicker, and there will be more locals out and about partying instead of working, but will I miss any cool attractions/food/etc.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 PM

yeah man ferragosto is huge basically the whole country goes on vacation for 2 weeks.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Traveling alone is the best. Do it.

Will go back and read OP later.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM

I went to Europe for 2 months alone. Generally it was a hella blast, it gives you way more motivation and opportunities to meet random people and hang out, you meet the locals, etc. I had the money to stay in nicer places but staying in hostels was totally the way to go because of all the people you meet.

On the other hand, it can be frustrating and depressing and I felt more sad & alone than maybe any other time in my life on that trip.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Europe for 2 months alone. Generally it was a hella blast, it gives you way more motivation and opportunities to meet random people and hang out, you meet the locals, etc. I had the money to stay in nicer places but staying in hostels was totally the way to go because of all the people you meet.

On the other hand, it can be frustrating and depressing and I felt more sad & alone than maybe any other time in my life on that trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate on the sad/alone part, why, and did it ruin or enhance the trip?