Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 2

A number ranking for each "sport" please.

Basketball

Chess

Pool

Pole Vault

Mile Run

150 Mile Run
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 2

Basketball: 25,000
I don't think there's a woman in the world good enough to play D-II basketball, and a lot of good male high schoolers are better now than any woman that's ever played. Add in all the former college players who could school the women and I think 25,000 becomes conservative.

Chess: 200
There's nothing intrinsic about Chess that makes it that men can do something women can't, but the people who dedicate their lives to it tend to be male as do all the truly elite.

Pool: 300
Don't know much about this one, so this is more of a guess. Since it involves coordination, I think the men still have a slight edge, but I don't see any reason why the top women couldn't be at least competitive with the men.

Pole Vault: 800
Since it's based mainly on physical skill, the women can't really be competitive with the men. However, so few men worldwide have the basic form down that there probably aren't enough of them to keep a woman outside 1000.

Mile run: 3000
We've already detailed in the other thread how poorly women compare in the marathon. A mile run's so universal that outside of track athletes, you'll have a lot of athletes from other sports that will be able to beat the women as well.

150 Mile run: 250
Running with this sort of endurance is again such a specific skill that not a lot of women have mastered it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:29 PM

Basketball - >> 1 million. I wouldnt be suprised if a team of 2+2ers could take out a WNBA team

Chess - No real previous knowledge but I would guess there is a woman in the top 100.

Pool - The differences in talent among top pool players is probably pretty small. 200

Pole Vault - 2000

Mile Run - 50000

150 Mile Run - I read or saw somewhere that women potentially could have more endurance over extremely long distances, but have not heard anything else about it. I think this is due to their higher body fat percentage. This one could be alot lower than people think. 500

who knows could be 1
Old 12-28-2006, 04:47 PM

chess - 16 Judith Polgar was 8th int he rankings in 2005 and is 16th today

Dont know about the others and dont want to guess.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM

For the 150 mile run, it's hard to get an exact number but it may be 1 and it's certainly single digits.

[ QUOTE ]
Pam Reed is the two-time reigning champion of Badwater, the 135-mile race from California’s Death Valley to Mount Whitney that is considered the world’s toughest running event, and the first person – male or female – to run 300 miles straight without sleep. She is also American women’s record-holder in the 24-hour run (138.94 miles).
Link

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Basketball- they should just lower the rim for the WNBA... if the LPGA played from the mens tees, it would be way less entertaining (i know it sucks already blah, blah) to watch. I don't know why women feel compelled to play the same height hoop as men. I would love to watch Lobo throw down on some butch lookin guard.

as for this question..........MEH
Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
run 300 miles straight without sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's sick.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
run 300 miles straight without sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's irrelevant.

Regarding her being #1 at 150 miles, not even close.

From Wiki

Current course records are 24 hours 36 minutes 08 seconds (men), set by Scott Jurek, and 27 hours 56 minutes 47 seconds (women), set by Pam Reed.

Not sure what #2-10 did it in but I'd wager they were not 3 [censored] hours slowers.

J
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Basketball is a tricky one. Strictly speaking, you could say that some woman like Jamila Wideman is among the best ball-handlers in the world, and could VERY well play Div.I basketball as a point guard, albeit not anywhere close to the best point guard in the country and maybe not even a starter, but definitely better than some of the worst Div. I men's basketball players in the country. She probably wouldn't be able to play dynamite defense against quicker/bigger men, but offensively she should be adequate as a pure point guard. This would fit the description of a better player than at least 3 players that get time on my alma mater's current basketball team (University of Oklahoma), which is downright terrible this year. So, where does this mean she ranks? Not well at all, but CERTAINLY not in the 1 mil. range as one poster above suggested. My best guess? 10,000
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM

You caught my trick question. You just may be the world's smartest fundamentalist.