Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 10:25 AM

Default 5/10 top pair, Is this an easy fold, or too tight?

So, maybe this is a dumb question, but I can't decide. No real reads on MP1, he just sat down a minute ago, and MP2 is relatively tight/standard for the 5/10 game i play. I was BB and they limped to me, I checked with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.5 sb). The flop came Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J:heart.

I led, MP1 called, MP2 folded (5.5 sb). Turn came 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I checked, villian checked (2.25 bb). River blanked. I checked, villian bet. I folded getting about 3:1 on the call. Standard or too tight?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 5/10 top pair, Is this an easy fold, or too tight?

Information call. His play on turn/river looks like a whiffy flush, but would he call on flop with a weak heart and player to act behind him? He could well be bluffing with a pair of jacks or eights and be scared to show it down. It can only be a small mistake and you see how he plays. Of course he could have flopped the nuts....9Thearts....
Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 AM

I bet the river. I think you'll fold better hands here often enough to make it profitable, especially after it went check check on the turn. Folding to a raise obviously.

The pot is pretty small however, so check/fold is probably not horrible either. I think check/call sucks.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM

grunch-
There is about a 33% chance that the villain has a heart. The probability is raised since the villain is still in the hand, but reduced since he let the turn check through with position. There is also the possibility that he has a Q with better kicker, but this seems unlikely given the absence of a flop raise and letting the turn check through.
There are about 3 bets in the pot. I would probably call, since there is a better than 1/3 chance that they are bluffing or have a worse pair.
However, I would have bet/folded the river if you were actually going to call.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM

I surprised that everyone likes the turn the check. I would bet/fold this turn pretty much every time - seems like a straightforward application of the clarkmeister theorem.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:55 PM

It should be noted that if villain got a piece of this flop, then at least one of his cards is not a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I would have bet the turn if my opponent is not tricky. At least bet the river here.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I surprised that everyone likes the turn the check. I would bet/fold this turn pretty much every time - seems like a straightforward application of the clarkmeister theorem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then bet/fold the river?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then bet/fold the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean if we bet the turn and get called? That's a sticky situation and I can see arguments for bet/folding, check/calling, and check/folding.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM

I think if your b/f the turn, that the river if it is a blank would become a b/f again...
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then bet/fold the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean if we bet the turn and get called? That's a sticky situation and I can see arguments for bet/folding, check/calling, and check/folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if we get called on the turn, what are we supposed to do on the river? It seems to me like there is no good plan for the river action once we're called on the turn.